Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

How far do you travel to fish?

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I travel from Forest Hill, MD to APG; about a 30-40 minute drive depending on traffic. Once I get more knowledge fishing for stripper and get more comfortable with the kayak I plan on expanding my hunting grounds but we all know that work, family and funds determine where and how much we go fishing.:salute:

·
Official Member
238 Posts
Since our striper fishing is gone due to the california water wars, I make two trips to Rhode Island Or Mass each year..Thats 5-8 hrs by plane for a stay of 2 weeks .. And believe me , its worth it..I only catch & release, with a lot of tugs & release to hopefully catch the next year..I appreciate the east coast sharing their fishery with us west coasters..thanks, Jim

·
Lunker
467 Posts
Alot of weeknights I fish for just 3 to 4 hrs, because I can be casting my bunker chunk in under 15 minutes, after leaving the house. Sometimes it is not the most productive spot, but it is closeby, and beats laying on the couch watching TVtill bedtime! Other times when I dont have to be in work, I can be in a variety of locations from Jamaica Bay to Sandy Hook in under 45 minutes.

·
Scot Paton
64 Posts
I live about five minutes from one of the best Herring runs in Mass. The Town Brook Run in Plymouth. When the Herring are running there are some true cows in the area. I can reach several other tremendous fisheries within a half hour. I can drive to the north to Green Harbor. Another great Herring run. And the North, and South rivers which are also very large Herring runs. And we all know how big Bass love the Herring!!! And, then there's the Cape Cod Canal....the infamous Ditch!!! Which I can also reach in about twenty five minutes!

·
Official Member
131 Posts
5 min from the River where I never catch any thing and I can follow that same river all the way to the flats, about 30-40 min away, where I occasionally catch something. Actually, I take that back, I caught one little striper in the river near my house. And 5-6 catfish.

Down river I have caught one Eel.

In the flats I have caught 4-5 Stripers.

That's it. In two years of (sadly) occasional fishing that's all I've gotten. My fresh water total isn't much better unless you count Pickerel. I am the Pickerel MASTER! I did catch ONE HUGE LMB once that was probably close to a record fish but I didn't know enough about fish then. I figured if I could catch it it must be about average. Nope. Oh well.

41 - 60 of 109 Posts