Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

How do you hook chunk on a circle?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JoeyVee 
#1 ·
Several years ago I tried circle hooks and found that I lost a lot of fish and switched back. Now it dawns on me that I wasn't hooking the bait properly.

With straight shanked hooks I bury the hook in the bait. In the process of setting the hook it would break through the meat and hook the fish. Because you're not suppose to set the hook with a circle, should I have been leaving the hook exposed?

#3 ·
I guess it was my human intuition that told me to bury the hook. If I felt something sharp in my mouth, I'd spit it out real quick.

OK, I'll try that. I hate it when I gut hook a fish.

I was watching some of the re-runs on OLN of that shark fishing tournament and saw how they were baiting a circle hook. The other thing I noticed with those using the circle hook was that after allowing the shark to take the bait, they motored up and full throttled to engage the hook.

#6 ·
i try and use only heads. blues have been annoying as hell this year. i go through one eye and out the other. and plenty of hook sticking out. i use 10/0 sometiems. i know plenty of people are gonna disagree with alot of that. but ive been hooking into some nice fish so far this year. heres one from last night on a head hooked like that. 3 total for me. 2 for my friend. all on bunker heads. all around 39 inches. one about 42 maybe 44.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.