Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Striper Hunter
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how exactly does a Striper take into its mouth a Bloodworm or a piece of Bloodworm threaded on a hook? (which is pretty much the standard presentation where I fish the Spring Hudson run)
I would imagine opening the mouth and sucking it in with a flare of the gills, but maybe it is more of a grasping thing, like if they had to pull a Blood out of the bottom muck?
Bored, got the Fever, thinking hard about Stripers.
thanks gents!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Bass are primarily Ram feeders which means they attack through their prey with water flowing out through their gills.

·
LunkHead
1,081 Posts
Based on what I've read I think sadlsorz nailed it, they flare their gills and pop their mouth open and slurp up whatever is in front of them. According to the article that I read dealing with their feeding behavior, the entire event is over in 1/10 of a second, and the human eye can't follow the whole thing, we'd only see the beginning, or the end, because our little pea brains can't process the info fast enough.
Great memories of standing on a rock in Montauk, in the inky darkness, and hearing as well as feeling the bass slurping down our bombers, sometimes so close they'd scare the crap outta ya.

·
Wishin i was fishin
542 Posts
Just wanted to remind you as well, i believe i read in the gatherings forum a spring hudson spawn gathering coming up, so if you go to that you can gain a lot of good information and meet some great people.

·
Veteran Striper Chaser
222 Posts
Years ago an old timer told me of bass feeding on worms on the bottom (in the mud)and standing on there heads with there tails showing out of the water and BLOWING the worms out of the bottom. He claimed at low tide you could see the slight depressions where they had feed the night before. I myself have seen caught bass with red under there chin and belly from rooting out sand eels along the bottom

·
Striper Hunter
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses-I was thinking about making something similar to the "hair rig" or "bolt rig" they use for carp-a "hair" or thread of some sort attached to a hook, with the bait on the "hair" as opposed to threaded on the hook itself- as a way to deal with the frequently small and thin diameter bloodworms we deal with around here.

If they just suck the bait in, similar to a carp, then I guess it might work.

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts