Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Striper newbie
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to learn some tricks,tactics, and hotspots around Rhode Island. I fished Conanicut?Park last week, no luck, Tried Sabin Point the night of July 5th. Saw one small bass (22 inches) caught. I'm pretty sure the guy took it home, never heard it go into water(it was pitch black there at 11:00pm), plus after he laid it on the concrete for ten minutes to remove hook and measure, I'm sure it was destined for death. Anyway, I'm catch and release whenever possible. I had stopped saltwater fishing about five or six years ago, just got the bug again, so I dusted off my surf outfits, Then decided to buy a few more. I'm trying to learn to use a tica stripper (Caiman) baitcaster. My only experience was a few low end freshwater baitcasters. I used it straight out of box, left the two centrifugal dogs on as it was sent from factory. Matched it to a 8' Pinnacle power tip rod (made in same factory/same blank as ugly stick) 17 pound excel mono, I haven't had a backlash that took more than thirty seconds to get out. I am trying this with some plugs, and now want to try the 9" slug-Gos. Any hints/help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Welcome aboard Big Moose. I'm sure you'll find a ton of great info here to aid in your search for our stripey friends. Become familiar with the Search feature, it's your friend, and the quickest way to find already posted info and discussions on topics you may want to read up on. We've got a great bunch of guys here,,, stick around and join in,,, I think you'll like it thumbsup.gif

·
Striper newbie
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Baitrunner, I have been reading posts for the last three days! I love this sight! I'm hoping to learn some of the stuff you diehards have been using for years. I don't get to fish as often/or at the times I'd like. I was at Jamestown yesterday with the family, had three outfits with me, never got to wet a line! My wife saw to that! My main reason to go was fishing. Hers was to look at the sights.

·
I had a BLAST!
2,429 Posts
Getting out there is the key. I don't use Caiman's, but I good with Abu's. Six of one, half dozen...........
I like Sluggo's at night, and have done well. If you're gonna go that route, try the Hogie's, they're a BLAST.
I pick spots I want to fish, in the daylight. I like outflows, from salt pods and such. I like the outgoing tides and eels.
Look for bait. No bait, in the channels, or around rocks or in the surf, your chances of getting one is slim.
But get out there, that's the key. Ya gotta put your time in.thumbsup.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts