Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

In the last 5 years, have you been officially surveyed about your recreational striped bass harvest?

• Yes, and I completed the survey honestly.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • Yes, and I completed the survey giving bogus answers.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I was contacted, but chose not to complete the survey.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • No, I have not been surveyed in the last 5 years.

Votes: 159 81.5%
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The program is a joke. Neither myself nor my buds have been contacted. I live in Portsmouth Virginia and have been fishing for 20 years in the rivers, bay , and ocean. If the folks that regulate the fishery think things are ok they have their head buried in the sand. The last three years I have seen a dramatic decline in catches on my boat and many of my buddies boats as we'll. I remember back in the 90's and early 2000's seeing Stripers stacked up in the light line at most of our bridges on any given night. Most folks would come back with fish. I have been in the open water observing large schools of COWS rolling feeding on schools of Menhaden. I have not seen this many years. The decline is caused by run off pollution, Omega Protein raping the Menhaden, and poor management. I will guarantee that if something is not done NOW we will not have a Stripe Bass fishery for generations to come.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been surveyed 3 times while surf casting and it is a pain. I was even surveyed during a blues blitz. I will try to avoid it if at all possible. Even telling the person that I am not a fisherman. Of course that might be hard to do standing there with an 11' Ron Arra

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regularly here in Connecticut.... They just hand you a card though and ask you mail it in at the end of your day. Last summer I would say that I was surveyed more then 50% of the times I went fishing... not yet this season though, but the summer is just getting started.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Funny you ask. Just last week I joined a NYS DEC log book program. They are sending a log book that I will enter info each time I fish the Hudson River for stripers. Then at the end of the season I will send back my info. for them to add to their data base. New York State Department of Environmental Conservation

21 S. Putt Corners Rd., New Paltz, NY 12561

P: (845) 256-3009 | F: (845) 255-1701 | [email protected]

Before this, I never heard of any surveys for Hudson River Stripers.

johnjohn

21 - 27 of 27 Posts