Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3,471 Posts
I just checked out the site - last I spoke to him, Brooklyn Bill can do the Daiwa Basia for $400 picked up in Somerset NJ, add a few bucks if you need it shipped.
The site you just posted wants $458 + shipping from Japan which should be in the $30 range. That's an $88 difference !

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks suds
I wonder if he has the tournament t reels.
His site shows the freshwater stuff.
The basia is awesome but still a little steep.
Unless i sell some stuff off i plan to wait it out.
The Ts aint cheap either.
:bigcry: E bay
heres one buy it now 379 from ginrin on

·
3,471 Posts
Bill only lists freshwater on his website but he can get anything you want. Figure 3 weeks from order to delivery.

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys

Yes Reelin the Daiwa Tournament S-T
I just cant get used to the sealine x30 shv conventional.
I have a tough time with snags around the rocks.
The spinners Im comfortable with
My thumb feels like its gonna fall off.

·
Lunker
95 Posts
If you want the ST series you should be shopping in the UK.

I have the Basia, the S5000T and the S6000T; the 5000 is the same reel as the Whisker SS3000 back in the 80's with a deeper spool profile. The S6000T is the same reel as the 1980's Tournament SS9000 Millionmax with a shallower spool profile.

The S6000T's spool is the same size as the Basia (45mm stroke) and I think it is more user friendly . . . I have never thrown a wind knot with the 6000, the Basia has a different lip profile and does throw wind knots.

Here are the spools lined up, left to right; S5000T, S6000T, Basia, Emblem ZA5500:

There is little discernable difference in the casting distance between the Basia and the S6000T. The big difference is the weight, the Basia is 6 ounces lighter.

Leslies of Luton has the S6000T for ?158.99; drop out the EU VAT (divide by 1.175) and you get a US price of ?135, convert to USD and the reel costs $235 + shippong.

In all honesty, the S6000T is twice the reel the Basia is. The Basia is a Rapper's blinged out Range Rover, the S6000T is a Hummer, the original one . . .

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks reelin. Thats just the info i was looking for.
The 6000T looks awesome to me. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the heads up on
leslies

·
3,471 Posts
Neat stuff there but WOW that place is expensive!!!! $461 for the Basia PLUS shipping?? No thank you. British prices are notoriously high, add to that the weak dollar vs the pound and it becomes one of the most expensive countries to buy anything from.
I had that reel in my hands From Bill for $395 total cost in October (met him in Somerset to check out the reels). That's a $90 savings over Leslie's.

I had to choose between the Basia and the Conquest - I'm more of a conventional guy so I took the Conquest.

·
Lunker
95 Posts
striperjim said:
Thanks reelin. Thats just the info i was looking for.
The 6000T looks awesome to me.
You're welcome Jim, the 6000 is a workhorse.

Sudsy said:
Neat stuff there but WOW that place is expensive!!!! $461 for the Basia PLUS shipping??
Remember to drop the EU VAT, everything over there has 17.5% tacked on. Take Leslies or any list price from the EU countries and divide by 1.175 to find the price for the US or any non-EU country.

Tournament Basia 45QD's EU price is ?265.00, but after dropping the VAT the USA cost is $391.97. That's right in line for the reel.

Some things are more expensive in the UK but like anyplace, ya gotta shop around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts