Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Got my first one!

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
Got my first Striper today 30 inches, 18lbs.Not a big fish for some of you guys, but an awesome first fish for me!Thanks for everyone's advice!

#9 ·
Took me 2 yrs before I got my first keeper. When I finally did, I relished all the hard work it took to put that learning together. Right place, right time.

You're hooked now, no turning back. 18#, and 30", sounds like a football! Must have been stuffed to the gills with herring or bunker, livin the good life.

Nice fish, congrats.thumbsup.gif

#13 ·
how did you catch your first. what kind of bait, conditions..so on and so on. was there a calculated formula you used to hunt him down of was it pure luck (which is just fine). i was just curious...i can tell you my first keeper was pure luck...no thought to the process...i should not have caught that fish...but i did.

#14 ·
I don't think it was pure luck.But, I was lucky enough to be able to fish when they were there.I'm no stranger to the outdoors.I've fished just about every species in New Brunswick, and when I learned Stripers were being caught within an hour from home, I did everything I could to find out everything I could about them, which is how I found this site.:redbiggrin:I have a crazy passion for the outdoors and all it's creatures.I've been a professional fur trapper for several years, I am a nuisance wildlife control operater, and have worked on a government rabies control project for many seasons.I do alot of hunting ,mostly for bear and am also a professional hunting guide:dizzy:I knew nothing of Stripers at all until I found this site:redbiggrin::redbiggrin:.I stayed up many nights reading through old posts trying to learn from the ones I thought would apply to the areas I intended to fish.I also probably drove some of the experts on this site half crazy with a few million questions through PM's:yay:Once I found out the basic area where people were catching fish, on my next day off I took a map and drove around at low tide trying to see what "structure" was all about.I remember not too many years ago following Mink tracks in the snow long after the season for them was over, just to try to learn more of their habits, and what makes them tick.I also intend to learn all I can of Stripers.I find them amazing, with an even more amazing life cycle.I already know that they are the type of creature that no matter how much you know of their patterns and habits there will always be much to learn.I am as green as they get when it comes to Stripers, but it's gonna be a lot of fun learning:canada:

#16 ·
I don't think it was pure luck.But, I was lucky enough to be able to fish when they were there.I'm no stranger to the outdoors.I've fished just about every species in New Brunswick, and when I learned Stripers were being caught within an hour from home, I did everything I could to find out everything I could about them, which is how I found this site.:redbiggrin:I have a crazy passion for the outdoors and all it's creatures.I've been a professional fur trapper for several years, I am a nuisance wildlife control operater, and have worked on a government rabies control project for many seasons.I do alot of hunting ,mostly for bear and am also a professional hunting guide:dizzy:I knew nothing of Stripers at all until I found this site:redbiggrin::redbiggrin:.I stayed up many nights reading through old posts trying to learn from the ones I thought would apply to the areas I intended to fish.I also probably drove some of the experts on this site half crazy with a few million questions through PM's:yay:Once I found out the basic area where people were catching fish, on my next day off I took a map and drove around at low tide trying to see what "structure" was all about.I remember not too many years ago following Mink tracks in the snow long after the season for them was over, just to try to learn more of their habits, and what makes them tick.I also intend to learn all I can of Stripers.I find them amazing, with an even more amazing life cycle.I already know that they are the type of creature that no matter how much you know of their patterns and habits there will always be much to learn.I am as green as they get when it comes to Stripers, but it's gonna be a lot of fun learning:canada:
lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.