Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking around and having trouble finding alaskan yellow cedar, western red cedar, maybe some maple or birch, cant remember where i used to order wood from would appreciate it if any one could point me in a good direction !
:thu:

·
Rubber Shad Ex-spert
309 Posts
This may sound sort of weird, but try your local tree cutting guy. I know when I cut trees all through college we came across anything and everything. Catalpa, white pine, eastern cedar, atlantic cedar, birch, mapple, walnut, locust. Goto his yard, and ask him what he's got. You'll probably wind up with more than you ever need for like $0 to $30 bucks.

·
First Mate
1,198 Posts
Good advise from dpohlson....

Also try the fence companies, and the better lumber suppliers. They can probably get AYC if they don't have it. My birch, maple, and white pine come from either my yard, a friend's yard or a fallen tree on the side of the road. Let them dry, under cover with good ventilation, a year for every inch of thickness, a few passes through the bandsaw, more drying and ready for the lathe. Northern White Cedar are cut offs from the local fence companies. Western Red and AYC from a lumber supplier about 50 miles north of me.

Another option is the local specialty woods supplier. I have a couple within 20 miles that sell just about any wood you can probably get in this part of the country. A local carpenter or cabinet maker can steer you towards one. They might have a "shorts, or cut-offs" bin that they discount.

·
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
1,148 Posts
I would call liberty cedar in RI and find out they are doing delivery in your area. I bought a ton of AYC from them 2x8 full dimension rough sawn for a good price. They also sell ballusters pre cut. You may be able to have some sent to you fairly inexpensively. Fence Companies are a great source also.

·
First Mate
1,198 Posts
that sounds promising :banana: ill give my local a call
Hit them up cold. The way it worked for me is that I went into the sales room trying to get pricing on some cedar posts. The sales guy asked what I was building and I told him fishing plugs. Told him I was going to take the cedar post and cut it up into 8 to 10 inch pieces. He picks up the phone and asked the guy in the shop if they have any cut-offs. Since it was spring and things where busy, they had a mess of them. I backed my truck up and they loaded me up and thanked me for taking his scrap. The next trip, I returned with a plug I made from the wood I got the first time. They loaded me up again, and asked if I had interest in turning some fence post toppers for them.

The fence company I use, also sells wood stoves, so the scraps gets used up in the fall and winter. Timing was everything, and hitting them during a busy time, far enough from wood stove season worked out well.

·
First Mate
654 Posts
I have a local guy who gave me a call as I left him my name. He had or has 8/4 (2") cypress. I can check if you want, I may swing by in the next couple days to pick some up if he still has any. The boards usually range any where from 4 to 10" wide/2" thick and upto around 14 or 16". I picked up some sweet basswood from him a while back but need to go by as I don't want to miss out-I still may be to late anyway

Shoot me a PM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.