Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
First Mate
864 Posts
I'm behind it as long as the bag limit is not raised or the size limit lowered. I was too young in the eighties to have seen first hand the drop in the population, but from what I have heard and read I do not want to see a repeat. One thing that gets lost in a lot of these conservation discussions is the fact that we (recreational fishermen) take four times as many fish than the comm guys. What ever is done we have to lower the amount of breeding fish taken.

I do think that a short hook and line comm season could be possible so those that can't or don't fish can enjoy the resource. Though that does open the door for poaching.

·
First Mate
864 Posts
does no one else have an opinion on this subject?

·
First Mate
1,198 Posts
My opinion is that Striped Bass should be protected as a game fish to be taken with rod and reel only. I believe the breeder fish should be protected, and I have no problem with a limit on what can be kept. But bait fish that are a major food source need to also be protected. Bass can't thrive if the bait they eat are being depleted. I like fishing with fresh bait as much as anyone else, but these boats that catch the bait and process it right on board should be limited. With the bait they are catching in the nets, you can bet there are some Stripers caught up as well.

I get more joy from catching than I do from eating Striped Bass. They are good eating, but I don't need to fill my freezer with them.

If we need to buy a license, all funds should go back into protecting the fishery and enforcement of the bag limits. Taking of undersize fish, or more than the limit needs to stop. Fines for poaching need to increase to the point that it's to risky to poach. Gear needs to be conficated, and the guys poaching need to know that they are going to be seriously hurt in the pocketbook WHEN they are caught. With enough enforcement, it will be a matter of when versus if they are caught.

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
Im fine with game fish status IF all tournaments ( like the striper cup) are eliminated.... a dead fish is a dead fish regardless of weather it is going to market or hung on a dock to be weighed for a prize.a universal size and bag limit also needs to be implemented if they make the move to gamefish status.

·
First Mate
864 Posts
Rick and Roc both bring up good points. I agree that bait fish need more protection especially in the Chesapeake. Roc brings up a good point about tournaments how can we justify shutting down a fishery if we're gonna Kill them for bragging rights. There are plenty of offshore tourneys that are no kill we can easily do the same.

·
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
1,148 Posts
I agree with Roc. The thrill of the hunt is far more rewarding than the kill. I understand guys would like to take a fish here and there that is fine. If slots were imposed federally it could help to eliminate the breeder fish that are taken and increase the stocks.

·
LunkHead
1,081 Posts
My opinion only:
1. Make them gamefish, No commercial fishing, 1 fish per day @ 28 - 36", hook and line only. Nobody needs 2 30 pound fish a day, and I see that happen in the Spring.
2. The club I belong to currently fishes 10 weekend tournaments a year, against 6 other clubs, and every fish over 30" is killed to get weighed. We are exploring changing the format to a 6 week long tourney, with only the top 10 fish from each club counting. That way, we can post the weights of the top 10 fish, and if a fish you catch is not heavy enough to make the top 10, it can be released after a quick weigh on the beach. Should reduce tourney mortality greatly.
3. Omega Protein needs to go. They are raping the Virginia side of the Chesapeake of any menhaden they can find, which removes the filter feeders from the bay, which reduces the health of the bay, and reduces forage for the bass. Since the Chessie is the major source of migrating bass, steps need to be taken to reduce Omega's catch.

I would love to see all of the above happen, but any 1 of those would help. I keep a few fish a year for the table, my kids love 'em, me, I'd rather catch them than eat them. I want to know that people long after I'm gone have the chance to catch them as well.

·
I had a BLAST!
2,429 Posts
Game fish as well. But I think we need stocks to replenish themselves.
Release everything for a few years, than see where we are at.
Hey, I like fresh striper too, but I want my son to be able to fish for 'em in the future. If we are not good stewards now, our precious gift will be gone.
Than what?thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
19 Posts
3. Omega Protein needs to go. They are raping the Virginia side of the Chesapeake of any menhaden they can find, which removes the filter feeders from the bay, which reduces the health of the bay, and reduces forage for the bass. Since the Chessie is the major source of migrating bass, steps need to be taken to reduce Omega's catch.
WRITE YOUR REPRESENTATIVES!!!

See my letter to my congressman on the last page in this thread - http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=2927&page=4

We need to apply a lot of pressure NOW.

·
18,706 Posts
If we do make them a gamefish we also need to take steps to increase the forage base and increase the take on other predators like bluefish and doggies. Those things need to be taken off of the protected list.
Otherwise we'll have 100 million emaciated and skinny bass. Look at the skinny fish that came out of the Chesapeake in 04 with sores because of the menhaden reduction. Are there enough baby weaks, flatties, spearing, mullet, sand eels, scup, spot, herring, shad, eels, clams and lobster? Probably.
Then again they'll likely start eating other things that they arent primary forage now. Like tommy cod, mummichog, sea bass and ling, -- snapper blues maybe. :icon_pirate:
my 2cents. Doesnt mean i know whats best.

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So far I've seen 5 very important points brought out to make gamefish status feasable.
The only one that I disagree with completely is pure catch and release,across the board.
Anymore suggestions/opinions?

·
Banned
758 Posts
Gamefish obviously...there are many reasons why this should happen....first and foremost in my mind is that if things continue they way they are we won't only realize the consequence in fishing it goes further than that. When was the last time someone looked up how much money or sport brings ever year? No Stripers would bring a colapse of industry. Commercial fishing would be screwed, but who cares about those guys, especially with advent of Striper farms (yes stripers farms) out west.

The most important reason in my mind to protect Striped Bass with gamefish status is so that the penalties for breaking the law in regards to this fish are more inline with reality. Anyone who follows this battle knows that you can go poach thousands of pounds and get a slap on the wrist. I would think gamefish status would bring about much tougher laws. This in turn would be very helpful because while we sit here and point fingers at commercial fishing its easy to forget that there is tons of assholes poaching right and left every day of every season, damn well knowing that the chances of getting caught are slim.

·
Banned
758 Posts
I guess I am unclear as too what the legal definition of "Gamefish Status" is.
A fish that is regulated by law for recreational harvest. (simple answer)

·
in awe of real fisherman
236 Posts
I believe in gamefish status but only if the current limits are not relaxed.

The science inherent in determing mortality rates is flawed even on its best day. (I worked at woods hole during my college days studying the livers of winter flounders and also the mortality rates in total). Eliminating the commercial catch only to increase recreational take is NOT something I agree with.

But it is only the beginning, the forage base must be improved (read menhaden) and other high predators managed as well (dogfish etc)....lastly I am a firm believer in slot limits to help the breeders keep breeding...

just my .02:thu:

·
Banned
758 Posts
I very strongly agree with slot limits...

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's my opinion........................
Game fish status, with no expanded catch limits for recreational fisherman.
Slots created much the way Maine does it, but with some changes.
The end to all kill'em all recreational tournaments.
Protection of forage Bio-mass, Menhaden, shad, and herring especially. Those 3 contributed to the absolutely un-known today amounts of fish that I experienced as I came up as a young boy.
Fines and penalties that truly prohibit the illegally sold or kept Bass that do not even show as a blip on the radar screens of any study. Court systems that enforce these laws to the fullest extent. Every violator does automatic minimum community service picking up wads of line and bait boxes/bags at all publicly accessible trash hole googan spots. As often as possible supervised by me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.