Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boston your my home!!!!!!!

Back!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D First fresh fish of the season for us today.

We launched the inner Boston Haba today at 12:30 pm. Went to the hot spot and casted small plastics. First couple were holdovers with no sea lice. Next few casts revealed a nice size fish in the 30" range, as it got closer I started to see sea lice all over the eyes and tail area. Loaded with sea lice. I tried to hang on to it as I yelled at Mark to come over and check it out. It rolled and the hook came out. Where there is one there was more. We tossed over into the mud flats where worms have been plentiful, I hooked up again with another fish of similar size. This time I landed it. As it came closer it emptied its stomach out of Sea Worms and 1 herring. It feels like Christmas! Measured 30" on the button, nice and healthy and showing a ton of little brown critters. What a battle on 10 lb power pro and 15lb leader.

We stayed in the area scoring schoolies that were also carrying some sea lice.

Dont you feel like dancing?

Let the games begin!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sea-

I dont know nothing about sea lice growing in certain temps on fish.....Todays temp in the haba was exactly 53.3 degrees on the fish finder. If you heard that sea lice cannot be found on fish at that temp your source of information is wrong.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a link about Sea Lice

http://www.strategicthoughts.com/record2003/licecount.html

It seems that Norway is having problems with high counts of sea lice in fish. April has been the worst. I would think Norway in April is a lot colder then the 53.3 degrees we had today in May in Boston Haba.

I would think warmer water would kill sea lice. I could be wrong. Since as far back as I can remember Sea Lice has been on Stripers that first arrive and die off as the season progress.

·
18,706 Posts
I thought that sea lice had more to do with salinity than temperature. I would think like any parasite they would swell up and burst in lower salinty (fresh or brackish water) so the rivers might not see them as much as open ocean. Good question though. Ill have to read up on it now. :lol:

Edit** update. This article actually seems to imply the opposite of what I just said. at least in some species cept this one Lironeca :?

click here to the Md dnr fisheries article

BTW congrats on breaking the ice riddler. !!!! 8)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Rid, I'm heading out this weekend for the first time this season...
What are your recomendations for spots, I'm lost since I haven't been out yet...

I know I should head up to the various damns...what about Black Creek?
I would assume the soft plastics are the key...

·
Lunker
75 Posts
hey kayakninja

Have you tried the wash at the edison plant there on the salt side of the Mystic? throw a bomber long a(not the salt version) or any soft plastic right inside the boom. Jerk and stop...jerk and stop (relling your slack on the stop. You will feel them grab it when it stops then you set. If you see the LNG which is that huge green thing I am sure your familiar with stay away. Also troll and cast those two lures just outside the boom in the current flow. Once the bluefish come in it is like fishing in a barrel which was good when I had a guest or my children. Have you tried jiggin up some herring and liverlining right outside the lock onhte salt side? I'm gonna this week coming. I got a salt water trolling motor on my little whaler to try and emulate the stealth you guys have from the yak. I'll see you out there.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I don't have a yak...
I fish out of a boat...I just hangout 'round here because theres a buncha Boston guys here who have been fishing the Harbor for way more years than I have...Its good to learn from their tactics and strategies... :D helps me out a bunch...

·
Lunker
75 Posts
got ya

I was replying to the kayakninja also. Try that wash! I may be going to the mystic locks soon to try and liveline some herring. Call me if your going out that way soon. PM me and I'll send my cell number. I do have more spots. The Chelsea Creek can be incredibly hot some years and a 50" was caught on a sluggo by my friend at the very end where the oil tankers are he was tossing a sluggo at the pier pilons/-pillings(whatever they are called)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have fished this area my whole life and yes I know about the wash out of the edison. Nice fishing even in the Winter. Now its over. The new plant does not use water to cool the reactor. The old plant is being phased out and the new plant will be 100% running late this year. The old plant runs less then 6 times a year. A few times a week the discharge will run to clean screens. Foam kicks up and produces a chemical smell that is not pleasent to be around. Even if the tanker is in or out the Coast Guard, Everett Harbor Patrol, Private Security will come and ask you to leave once. I already had my warning for this year. They dont give a second warning. If the tanker is in you get no warning, the M60 and the M16 assault rifle does all the talking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.