Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever floated a live herring under a bobber/balloon? Was thinking during low light or at night it might be a pretty good presentation. Just can't see putting the herring more than a couple ft down because you wouldn't be able to cast it. Where I fish we'd get there at 4-5am and never got a bite until sun up. We did here some splashing going on, but never got a bite on the bottom...

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
We tried the ballon thing once ... never caught anything but a few times our bait seemed to get very nervous and took off in all directions. See other guys using it now and then too. Want to try it again.

Also see guys use no weight or floats and just free-line the bait ... cast it up near break walls and shore, and hooking up. It was neat.

BB

·
Registered
143 Posts
The guy that got me into striper fishing uses a balloon rather often with live bait. He doesn't always use it though. I have seen him boat a bass or two using he balloon. I have tried many times by taping a foam bobber on my line to the desired depth but with no luck. This season I will do alot more live bait fishing with no weights or floats.

·
Tyee
193 Posts
Balloons work well when u have suspended fish, find the fish, set balloon accordingly, bingo but seems to get more schoolies. Big cows stick closer to the bottom. I have a friend who uses live herring with no wait n does ok. I want my bait on the bottom, or a couple ft up I should say. I catch all my fish that way and very few r under 15 lbs, but hey if nothing is working I'll try anything.even tried wd40, n for those of u who know what I'm talking about it does work

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have tried doing a few different things with floats, From the top, behind a weight (to keep the bait off the bottom) etc. It has worked...but so far for me not any better than just using a weight and keeping it off the bottom. Now that could of course just be my lack of skill overall, but I am looking forward to trying to use suspended depth bait if the fish are suspended (now that I have the ability to tell where they might be!). Also, really, the WD-40 trick worked? I had always assumed that was kinda just a stock joke...

·
Tyee
193 Posts
Me too but tried it last year, my buddies laughed till my rod bent to the cork, now have a fresh can on board at all times lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Anybody ever floated a live herring under a bobber/balloon? Was thinking during low light or at night it might be a pretty good presentation. Just can't see putting the herring more than a couple ft down because you wouldn't be able to cast it. Where I fish we'd get there at 4-5am and never got a bite until sun up. We did here some splashing going on, but never got a bite on the bottom...
When you go to river basin again talk to tom and see his rigs up on the wall. He set me up with a rig using a big slip bobber and a bobber stop. You place the bobber stop on the line however deep you want to fish you can reel the stop into the reel without issue and the bobber goes down to your swivel so no different then casting your regular live or chunk rig. So you can fish a bobber in 20 ft if you want. I was thinking the same way you are low light but drifting the same setup

·
Registered
363 Posts
I uae a live free lined stoolie to catch bait and you'd be surprised how often its grabbed by a bass. I started putting a hook on it and have caught a few nice ones like that.

·
Master Trophy Hunter
241 Posts
I catch a lot of extra large fish with floats. Including a river basin winner.

·
Official Member
28 Posts
I love using balloons or slip bobbers. They work well for me. I catch more fish with floats than on bottom with a fishfinder rig. Sometime i still have the bait on the bottom but with a float. A charter captain told me once they only work in 4 ft of water. Bull---, i was 14 feet of water 7 feet down and my balloons where screaming right by him. He now fishes balloons all the time....

·
absolute trophy hunter
198 Posts
I don't really float from shore but have seen a striper caught doing so. Most of my float fishin I do from boats in about 3ft of water. Sometimes even live line (specially in the creeks). Ill usually run a fixed float for real shallow water but in deeper water you'll want a slip bobber rig. The knot that stops the float can be slid to any depth because it will cast off the reel with no issues. I've caught striper in eddyville before in 16ft of water with a slip bobber at 14ft just doin drifts in the current, my bait would get to a rock point and id stop the drift and let it sit there. Works great driftin down currrent behind the boat but hard to do cross current from shore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts