Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can't find answers through the stickies

What is the best time to do this, high tide, or low tide?

When is the best time ? June-Sept?(Massachusetts)

Is herring ok to use?

Do you throw it out and reel it in oevr and over, or do you cast it out and let it sit?

Do you use a bobber?

I looked through stickies but I'm having trouble finding something specific to where I'm fishing.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
where i'm fishing///////////////
now there's a clue...
let me see? oooh! mass!!! great! narrowing it down///
rocks?..... hmmmmm, lots of rocks there>>>
chunking? definately not the canal>>>>
oh mighty kreskin is perplexed....
bobber? ah-ha.... googin...
you are fishing off the rocks and want to know what to do.
if you must fish rocks get a pair of korkers and then we will talk...
you will not be fishing off any rocks and asking that again without having them.
next location to fish??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where i'm fishing///////////////
now there's a clue...
let me see? oooh! mass!!! great! narrowing it down///
rocks?..... hmmmmm, lots of rocks there>>>
chunking? definately not the canal>>>>
oh mighty kreskin is perplexed....
bobber? ah-ha.... googin...
you are fishing off the rocks and want to know what to do.
if you must fish rocks get a pair of korkers and then we will talk...
you will not be fishing off any rocks and asking that again without having them.
next location to fish??
Uhhh, what?

I want to fish off the coast or in a little cove/beach, I have snorkeled there and have seen a lot of stripers, so I know it's a good place, it is just off rocks into the cove, whats the big deal?

I'm thinking a fish finder with a weight and bait but what about a bobber, or will the bait float?

I just looked on the Mass wildlife site and they say stripers are all over mass from May -November, I'm talking north of boston

Can you just plug off the rocks?

Im trying to figure out how to fish for my area, and it's pretty hard, this site doesn't make it easy at all.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Im trying to figure out how to fish for my area, and it's pretty hard, this site doesn't make it easy at all.
Get you a white bucket (for sitting on and carrying your stuff), 8/0 hook, whole herring (hooked through lips) 8oz sinker(tied to the line), baseball sized bobber (6 inches above sinker) cast it out. when the bobber goes down set the hook.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
there are dozens of explanations on what to do.
look in here for starters and look through the threads and search. you are gonna have to get used to people getting cross as you are vague in your approach to help. your fishfinder/bait approach is fine and don't need a bobber. look around and in the search option on the header you can key in anything and it will come up.
http://stripers247.com/phpBB2/searc...nfo=1&photoplog_searchquery=beginner+stripers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there are dozens of explanations on what to do.
look in here for starters and look through the threads and search. you are gonna have to get used to people getting cross as you are vague in your approach to help. your fishfinder/bait approach is fine and don't need a bobber. look around and in the search option on the header you can key in anything and it will come up.
http://stripers247.com/phpBB2/searc...nfo=1&photoplog_searchquery=beginner+stripers
Sorry, I tried to be as specific as possible, what else do you need to know? I looked through your link btw. I have figured out the main basics, like when to fish, what seasons, evryone around here seems to use clam/herring but I like the idea of a plug for calmer waters.

Usually though my situation is basically limited to small coves and off the rocks fishing, sometimes it's calm but there are places I have done without a bobber before, and so many times I get caught on seeweed, so that's why I'm thinking maybe it's a good idea to have a bobber to keep it afloat in those areas where there's more seaweed to cross when reeling in. When I fish on these rocks the waves push them in, and generally, the height/angle that I fish from allows me to pull the hook out of the ocean from above, it always drags in and snags, then I lose it.

I couldn't find a bobber bigger than 2 inches at dick's sporting goods so I'm not sure if that'll work for me. I know the guy above said baseball sized. I'll have to go to my local fishing place when it opens.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
when on the leeward side of the winds, weed is (in some cases if not most) a problem you just don't wanna be subjected to in any angling/surfcasting/or baitfishing application. sometimes, a drift of bait with no weight at all is the baitfishermans one chance at avoiding weed (for a very short time) and in your case off the rocks..... and a head of mackeral/pogie/or any other noggin of choice will be your best bet as that part of the fish holds the most scent for a fish to dial in on. the best way to fish bait in this environment imo is to heavily chum the area in question and then toss out your offering. if fish are present they will be more likely to find your offering sooner than later with a line full of weed. keep the head up off the bottom and keep as much of the line out of the water as possible and allow it to drift with the chum. don't move it around at all but ideally you should not make the bait too heavy ie> smallest head available and a thin profile hook " 7/0 at most" & not burried in, but hooked in and out of the snout at the hard part of the top of the head behind the nostrils and very lightly hooked through with a 1/2 inch at best connection. the j hook should be able to penetrate once the fish has taken it, and on the hookset be able to rip from the bait. circle hooks are what i always suggest and fishing heads with them i used to tie them on with a needle as like a ballyhoo rig.the hook should not be a heavy one but one that will not break/snap/or bend open. daiichi makes a thin j hook with very sharp point and can be effective. there are all sorts of choices. but in the rocks where your offering will be subjected to some bouncing off barnacles and such it is wise to check the sharpness of your hook periodically. i can't see where it is you are fishing so only envision an environment where a description paints a thousand pictures so if this helps in any way "whatever" but not many would put up with that type of torture for too long i assure you. you will see how the summer climbs in and this situation becomes unfishable to you as it will get worse before it gets better. lighten up the line and don't use braid. a fluorocarbon yo-zuri hybrid line may be better with a severely long fluorocarbon shock leader for abraision resistance and to give you line on the rod/reel when a fish comes close to the rocks and it is hard to get him to hand. with all these factors i just still don't see your location but give you an ample selection of choices. hope this helps you out some anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when on the leeward side of the winds, weed is (in some cases if not most) a problem you just don't wanna be subjected to in any angling/surfcasting/or baitfishing application. sometimes, a drift of bait with no weight at all is the baitfishermans one chance at avoiding weed (for a very short time) and in your case off the rocks..... and a head of mackeral/pogie/or any other noggin of choice will be your best bet as that part of the fish holds the most scent for a fish to dial in on. the best way to fish bait in this environment imo is to heavily chum the area in question and then toss out your offering. if fish are present they will be more likely to find your offering sooner than later with a line full of weed. keep the head up off the bottom and keep as much of the line out of the water as possible and allow it to drift with the chum. don't move it around at all but ideally you should not make the bait too heavy ie> smallest head available and a thin profile hook " 7/0 at most" & not burried in, but hooked in and out of the snout at the hard part of the top of the head behind the nostrils and very lightly hooked through with a 1/2 inch at best connection. the j hook should be able to penetrate once the fish has taken it, and on the hookset be able to rip from the bait. circle hooks are what i always suggest and fishing heads with them i used to tie them on with a needle as like a ballyhoo rig.the hook should not be a heavy one but one that will not break/snap/or bend open. daiichi makes a thin j hook with very sharp point and can be effective. there are all sorts of choices. but in the rocks where your offering will be subjected to some bouncing off barnacles and such it is wise to check the sharpness of your hook periodically. i can't see where it is you are fishing so only envision an environment where a description paints a thousand pictures so if this helps in any way "whatever" but not many would put up with that type of torture for too long i assure you. you will see how the summer climbs in and this situation becomes unfishable to you as it will get worse before it gets better. lighten up the line and don't use braid. a fluorocarbon yo-zuri hybrid line may be better with a severely long fluorocarbon shock leader for abraision resistance and to give you line on the rod/reel when a fish comes close to the rocks and it is hard to get him to hand. with all these factors i just still don't see your location but give you an ample selection of choices. hope this helps you out some anyway.
What's wrong with my location?

I don't like fishing in Marinas because it is boring. I could hit up a pier or two every so often but I hate sitting on it looking at boats parked infront of me.

I would rather go to a secluded cove, fish off the rocks, or kayak to an island and fish there.

Sometimes the rocks are rough, sometimes the water is very calm though and fishing off the rocks isn't a big deal in terms of losing hooks to seaweed

·
4,419 Posts
Be careful on the rocks. They can be extremely slippery and dangerous.
The only way out is by medi vac.
Be mindful of the rise and fall of the tides. The surf height and current speed. Rogue waves and boat swells.
He's telling you korkers for a reason. + +
Early morning - find a quiet little cove and set up on the edges or the middle. Sometimes a fat cow will lay up in there waiting for escaping baitfish.
Right before or after slack tide lob out a bunker noggin with a 6 ounce sinker, eat a sandwich and have your coffee.

There are times when you can use a baloon rig or drift a piece of bait into an eddy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Be careful on the rocks. They can be extremely slippery and dangerous.
The only way out is by medi vac.
Be mindful of the rise and fall of the tides. The surf height and current speed. Rogue waves and boat swells.
He's telling you korkers for a reason. + +
Early morning - find a quiet little cove and set up on the edges or the middle. Sometimes a fat cow will lay up in there waiting for escaping baitfish.
Right before or after slack tide lob out a bunker noggin with a 6 ounce sinker, eat a sandwich and have your coffee.

There are times when you can use a baloon rig or drift a piece of bait into an eddy.
thanks (and thanks to everyone else too).

how long between high and low tides does the slack water last, any idea, appx?

what's a bunker noggin btw?

will herring float if there's enough of it, and it has a 6oz weight on it?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Dude stop busting balls. If you are serious with these questions try to find a guide, take up golfing, or spend a few hours on this site or online. This is why I don't post as much anymore. Bobbers C'MON!!!!!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Busting balls? I get slang words flung at me that I've never heard before, looked em up on google, couldn't find anything, so I don't feel like it's 'busting balls' to ask a few basic questions. I appreciate the help, they're serious questions, I didn't think it was a big deal to be asking them, and plus, if they get answered now, maybe someone in the future won't have to ask them.

What this forum lacks is something to acclimate the beginner to all of these slang terms and the bare basics. Ah well. No big deal.

I'm not a total noobie, I've lived around the ocean for 20+ years, *but* was just never that into fishing enough to know these things/terms. I just wanna get into it a little more and you're the only people I know who are serious about fishing.

·
4,419 Posts
Quantabulary said:
what's a bunker noggin btw?
A bunker head. aka Pogie - menhaden

Quantabulary said:
What this forum lacks is something to acclimate the beginner to all of these slang terms and the bare basics. Ah well. No big deal.
I did put together a glossary for just this reason, in the spirit of helping out the new guy.
Sometimes guys get on the site just to cause trouble.
They think its funny but they are known as trolls and are quickly booted.

Glossary

Site Map

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A bunker head. aka Pogie - menhaden

I did put together a glossary for just this reason, in the spirit of helping out the new guy.
Sometimes guys get on the site just to cause trouble.
They think its funny but they are known as trolls and are quickly booted.

Glossary

Site Map
Awesome. Sorry for missing the glossary, I'll check it out. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts