Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
My question is: When do you stay home?

I fish mostly from a kayak and I'm itching to get out on the water but N.O.A.A. weather radio predicts either "a chance of thunderstorms", "A Possibility of thunderstorms", or "Thunderstorms likely" all week right through the weekend.

At what point do the rest of you guys decide it's too dangerous and stay home.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
when it;s like this it is way too dangerous to venture out too far. the idea of lightning popping up like it did last night is ample warning the storm (may be) on the way but some of these storms are out of left field and are scary. the local radar will show you nothing this time of year when volatile storms form at a moments notice. generally i get to my weather radar where i get 9 hour loops of impending pressure changes and combined with the humidity shifts and temp changes it is pretty easy to see when the storm might start to form in a general area, but there is no excuse for being out when the warnings are imminent. just my 2 cents anyway. however..... i have been known to fish in the most unstable conditions as i will know the fishing will be good and if it turns out to be a few showers and if lightning is not a factor i get to fishin as i have had a few good days (even fluking) with this kind of change in the weather.
:jb:

·
4,419 Posts
Just to emphasize the dangers

http://www.abc6.com/news/featurestory/25683034.html?skipthumb=Y
The story was a companion to the New Rhode Island record bass video

Brad said:
My question is: When do you stay home?

I fish mostly from a kayak
Being on shore near the car is one thing but out in open water in a Yak? Not me.
I would keep a close watch on the possibility of thunderstorms and try to be aware of where the front is coming from. Its different being on shore. Easier to take cover.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
:jb::jb::jb::jb::jb:if you are out and there is a storm rolling in, you can be hit by lightning 5 miles or better away from a storm. when lightning strikes are forecast (and when it just pops up) there are several things to be aware of and do.

1. if lightning is around and not seen you could see your line from shore or boat riding alot higher in the water than usual. this phenomenon i don't know too much about as of yet.
2. if the hair on any part of your body starts to stand up it can be cause for alarm.
3. a buzzing sound in your rod as you are holding it or even if your not holding it as it will be apparent.

rule of thumb when on the shoreline fishing and lightning strikes are happening - take your rod (s) and place them laying down somewhere safe from being walked on and stand at least 40 or 50 feet away from them. just because they are standing or laying down doesn't mean they cannot be struck.
if you are on the beach or lot or field and the lightning arises too fast to get to safety then get away from your rod (s) and squat down and place your head down with your hands on your head and keep up on your toes as all of your feet are not on the ground should the ground get struck.
never stand under trees/poles/and or steel towers for cover.
if you do plan on continuing fishing in a storm as you feel you are not apt to get hit by lightning then see this pic as it is a flyrod that has been hit by lightning. i would venture you will be alot more cautious after seeing this as i have said earlier it is no joke.

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was fishing in Montauk one year trying out a couple of rods, to figure out which one I would purchase. I was standing on a rock when an electrical storm started. We decided it was time to leave and on the way back to the car I felt the rod start to hum. I threw it to the side and not 2 seconds later it was struck. The strike demolished the rod and scorched my waders. At that point I decided to go with The E-glass rod that I tested earlier that day. Now I deal with a little more weight, but I'm not carrying a lightning rod anymore.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts