Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Rubber Shad Ex-spert
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like such sissy. I was throwing eels for about 30 minutes at my favorite river mouth. It was thundering, and I had on storm gear, the orange stuff. I know to stay low during lightning so I was on one knee. Flash BOOM! No inbetween, no delay. I figured it was time to leave, but the place seemed fishy. What would you do? I left, and tried later that morning, but I was wondering what sort of night time lures you recommend for surf casting since that is what I'm limited too. I did search, and some say jigs with pork rind. The only jigs I have are huge monsters, so I suppose I'll need to re-supply my outfit.

Cheers

Oh yeah, I snaged a crab through it carapace, so I didn't get skunked . . . technically!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm almost positive that it's not a good idea. I say that based on the pier that I was last night.
The first lightning strike, and it was like a chinese fire drill, mind you it hadn't started raining, at that point it was lightning and thunder(hilarious to watch nonetheless).

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Getting down on one knee isn't going to help you much,,, especially if you're holding a surf rod. If the lightning is that close, better safe than sorry, better skunked than dead.

I've been struck before.... it's not fun.... :zoinks:

·
4,419 Posts
Lightning is deadly. Ive said it before and Ill say it again.
There are several posts throughout this forum that Ive talked about my biggest fish and hookups have come while it was lightning. A big fish is just not worth dying for.
Saturday night June 14th in Goldsborough Lake Pa. lightning struck the lake while 5 kids were swimming. Two girls had gotten out of the water. Two boys are critical with burns and the other had a fatal heart attack and died. That same night as i was putting my key in the door my hair lit up with static electricity. Lightning struck - thunder cracked and blew out my cable - my phone - electric and destroyed my computer moniter. Crews worked all night restoring power and cable.
I say I wasnt as scared as i should be but its probably as close to dying as ive been in a while. If i was a drinker i would have gotten drunk. I felt like it anyway.

As for the jigs . size them according to the current speed. I have them from 1/2 an ounce to 4 ounces. In different styles of jig heads.
The most often used by me is 1 ounce.
My night time lures are storm shads, bottle swimmers, casting swimmers, darters.

They say about lightning if your hair stands on end get down on your knees. and while your down there say a prayer.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
When I was 12.

We were making hay on the farm when a storm came up. Sat in the open end of the hay loft to wait it out,,, legs hanging down outside. Got the shoe on my left foot blown clean off. I was happy to wake up....

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
note to self. don;t fish with jacob in a storm.

once youv'e been hit you are charged and you can be hit multiple times after that. a guy in wyoming has been hit 7 times. but if it were up to me in a storm with fish i would stand next to jake every time *(if we were fishing the cape that is)

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Super-powers? Maybe,,, maybe not :whistle: If I were to tell of my super-powers,,, I'd be opening myself up to way too many photochop opportunities. :lff3:

Seriously though,,, it's not worth the risk to find out. I said it before, and I'll say it again. Better safe than sorry, better skunked than dead. Don't taunt nature by pushing your luck and failing to use common sense,,, she'll reach out and grab you.

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
I've been caught in severe lightning storms just twice in almost 40 years of fishing... both times I was scared shirtless... the first time was in the mid 70's, I was fishing Ipswich bay, about 10 miles from the dock I saw the storm coming and headed out for home and mother, as I passed through a mooring area, lightning danced between the masts of several sail boats.. I swear I could taste the electricity.... my outboard died half way back through the marsh... I wasnt sure if I was going to get electrocuted or eaten alive... luckily the worst thing that happend was a long walk home through the mud when the tide went out...

The second time was in 2004, I had a charter on board on a beautiful July night, the fishing was outstanding, well I saw the storm clouds to the north, normaly, if they are north of the river, they have already gone to sea, 15 miniutes later it had backed in and lightning was flashing, the rain came down by the bucket full ( I had the only rain gear) the guy's were doubled up and wanted to stay... discression was the better part of valor and I called the trip when the lightning caused a steady buzz from my antenna and my electronics all went out... back at the dock,the guys couldn't get their truck to unlock, start or disarm the alarm... I laid out in the pouring rain disarming the electronicaly challenged alarm...

I'll fish under any condition.. except lightning...

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
i saw it hit the water in front of me and it was out of the clear blue. a front was moving in and we had time to continue to fish (so i thought) but that second strike near blinded me as we were scurrying to safety. the guy fishing with us said he felt a jolt and continued to fish as we were taking off. i don;t know alot but i do know how stupid he was and got the fire dept EMS to call him off with the radio.

·
I had a BLAST!
2,429 Posts
Leave, that's all. When I see that stuff coming, I think how it would be for my wife and children, without dad coming home. And the sadness it would cause them.
Folks get hurt all the time out there, if an accident or in the case of lightning, a fatality can be prevented, than so be it.thumbsup.gif

·
3,471 Posts
A few thoughts:
- a graphite rod is an excellent electrical conductor. You might as well be holding a lightning rod when you're out there on the end of a jetty.
- A guy was killed on a sunny day on Long beach Island about 5 years ago by a bolt of lightning from a very small compact thunderstorm that had already passed by and was 5 miles out to sea. I was 5 houses up the street from him when he got zapped. He had just gone back to the beach to try and find his watch he had left in the sand.
- if you can see lightning, even if it doesn't seem anywhere near you - it can still reach out and kill you.

I don't mess with lightning.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Methuen man killed by lightning strike

June 21, 2008
HAVERHILL, Mass.-Police say a Methuen man out for a walk with his wife in a Haverhill park has died after being struck by lightning.

Sgt. Robert Pistone said the couple had hiked about two miles along Kenoza Lake inside Winnekenni Park when the strike occurred during a thunderstorm about 2:35 p.m. on Friday.
A bicyclist came across the couple after the strike and called police to the area.
Pistone says the victim is a 46-year-old Methuen man, but did not immediately identify him pending notification of family.
The man and his wife were taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. His wife survived.
Officials say a Cohasset man was struck by lightning in Scituate on Friday and also survived.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...06/21/methuen_man_killed_by_lightning_strike/

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a very simple policy about fishing in a storm. If I can see the lightning or hear thunder (even distant) I'm off the water ASAP!

Three years ago, I stayed out a little to long and while I backing my truck down the ramp in order to put the boat back on the trailer, lightning hit my boat! I'll tell ya it made a mess of things too! ALL and I repeat ALL of the wiring had to be replaced, all of the circuit breakers were fused in the open position, the fusible links were nothing but ash, all of the plastic in-line fuses were melted into their holders, the trolling motor was fried, all three batteries were toast, the depth sounder was a mass of melted plastic and so were the PCBs inside, my brand new (used two times) fish-finder/ GPS unit was destroyed, the bilge pump wasn't even recognizable, and all of the gages were shot. I could go on, but I think everybody gets the idea.

After taking almost a year to get my boat back on the water, I'm a LOT more cautious where lightning is concerned!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have always wondered about the correct way to act in a toad strangling lighting storm.I usually fish up rivers that are surrounded by trees and no place to get out of the water. I have been caught in many severe storms and had lighting strike near but not to near. I usually get in the middle of the river and leave the rest up to GOD. I figure when its my time it can be anywhere he wants.
P.S. I fish out of a 18' aluminum jet w/tunnel :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts