Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Fishing/drifting The Rips ...eg. At Block Island

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  jnj 
#1 ·
going to the island end of this week.

I was hoping to get some advice on fishing the "rip" ( i guess that means the openings in the long sand bar? ) at the north end of the island.
any technique info for fishing from a boat would be appreciated.

how do you fish there ? do you or can you anchor near the rip? how would you get your bait to move with current to the right zone? what kind of bait? what kind of sinker/rig?

are you uptide and letting your bait back to the rip? or downtide casting across and retreving back??

or do you drift through it? any advice on a setup for that??

should i do something else? troll? jig?

thanks for any info.

floydo

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi famoresano, welcome back thumbsup.gif

I'm not aware of any very active members who currently fish Block Island with any regularity. However I know there are a few who have fished it in the past, maybe they'll pipe up soon. Sounds like you have a good idea of some different things to try. Be sure and let us know how you did thumbsup.gif

#3 ·
"rips" develop in areas where the depth changer drastically from deep to shallow in the direction of the incoming tide. As the water gets pushed in the shallow ares from the deep area it has nowhere to go but up. In short, rips are standing waves that do not move. Rip fishing is normally done by making short drifts over the rip. Anchoring in a rip is considered a big no-no. Bucktails, or live spot, bunker, eels or herring are top baits. I use 7/0 - 9/0 circle for live baits. You need to make sure you have sufficient weight to stay on the bottom.

#4 ·
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............................
So much to say, so little time, and having put a 15 gauge, 2 1/2 inch finish nail into the fatty part of the base of my thumb, well a little painful as well.
Perhaps you can tell me when you are coming for sure, or shoot me a PM with your phone number and I'll get you into the correct methods. Those rips are not where you want to be right now anyway. If you have a Capt. Seagulls of the area I can put you on fish.

#7 ·
going to the island end of this week.

I was hoping to get some advice on fishing the "rip" ( i guess that means the openings in the long sand bar? ) at the north end of the island.
any technique info for fishing from a boat would be appreciated.

how do you fish there ? do you or can you anchor near the rip? how would you get your bait to move with current to the right zone? what kind of bait? what kind of sinker/rig?

are you uptide and letting your bait back to the rip? or downtide casting across and retreving back??

or do you drift through it? any advice on a setup for that??

should i do something else? troll? jig?

thanks for any info.

floydo
Most boats drift the rip, but be careful, there are some big rocks in there. Standard method is to drift live eels on either a three way or an egg sinker rig. You can also use bucktails, we used to kill the weakfish there in June with bucktails. Once you get inside the green buoy you have to be careful about the rocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.