Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll tell my story in hopes mabey some of your stories calm me down. There's a spot I like to fish more than others, like I'm pretty sure almost every one on here has. Well last year my so called friend needed a batterie because he broke down. So I traveled it to him leaving my spot at prime time to help him out. Took the boat back to my spot and fished. He then roles up next to me, so off course he knows now where I fish. This year I come out to find him in my spot with four unknown people in the boat. To me this is the worse possible senerio. Well now today on Facebook I find pics of them all up in my spot. I'm sick. I've put in eight years of fishing there ,and know it by the back of my hand. I have recently made it clear to him how messed up he is and that he disrespected me. He is a wanna be in my eyes.I have plenty spots and am not afraid to find more. But this just pisses me off!!!:frustrated:

· Premium Member
1,829 Posts
All you can do it chaulk it up to a lesson learned man, i am guessing most of us have been burned at some point by friends of friends with "loose lips" disgust.gif

It sucks yes, you just know you can't share that type of info with him in the future and let him know you're not happy with him.

If it's a true friend, in the end it's just fishing, lifes short ... not worth losing a buddy over it. icon_wink.gif

My 2 cents !
BB

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I know lots of people on the water. And I didn't share anything besides a batterie. It no secret that I catch fish in that spot or Any spot. I took it as a deliberate action. You would never catch me sitting in spots I see charter captains fishing or my friends holes even if they brought me there th selves. I pave my own path and have lots of big fish to prove it. My so called friend is a peace of s--- !!! Lol

· Registered
37 Posts
I always find it funny when people think they have some sort of "right" to spots on the river, next time write your name on the water. Instead of fighting with your friend, maybe try fishing next to him and enjoying your friend's company. You're not a charter, you're not trying to make a living off this, it's a hobby with a great fishery that is a blessing to have. You should relax and enjoy yourself and your friends rather than getting pissed at every small thing that isnt done the way you would like it.

· Registered
7 Posts
How about these guys.I was fishing sunday bad weather not many boats out,three guys keep going around me withen 15 feet.Im on the hook,they saw me jig a herring when i said somethig they dont even look but finally leave. no other boats around in a half mile.

· Premium Member
1,829 Posts
That's why when I have a fish on I try to hide the fight from other boats so I don't get swarmed.
:icon_thumright: Keep the net down until the last min ... if it's small , just reach over and unhook it by the side of the boat :icon_thumright: Been there, done that HAHA

· 2014 stripers caught - 0
398 Posts
for some reason, its like this from shore too. Past few years, catch a fish, the next day someone is in that exact same spot even tho they were fishing in a different spot the day before.

I really dont mind if someone comes over and fishes next to me. If u can cast accurately and know how to cast with the tides and wind its ok. Cross and tangle my line, i get angry

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know the hide the fish trick. Been using it for years. Lol. This is a case of someone who knows me well, not someone stumbling upon it. And they don't even set up on it correct. He knows nothing about fishing at all. O well guess I'll leave it be for a while , and hope there lack of fishing knowledge and the gods keep fish off there lines. It dosnt bother me when someone idk is there at all. Because I'm sure every spot on the river is someones honey hole. I can't always be there and if someone is there I just go to my secondaries. Lol I like the idea of writing my name on my spot. Mabey I'll put a
Big dbigfish sticker on the side so I can have a traveling poesy of wanna be fisherman behind the boat or running Over my lines!!:partysmilie:

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not saying your all wanna be fisherman. But the ones I'm talking to know who they are!The people who look at other peoples pics to find fishing spots. Pull up behind you if they see you catch a striper. You scum:Marine:

· Young salt
1,396 Posts
I'll tell my story in hopes mabey some of your stories calm me down. There's a spot I like to fish more than others, like I'm pretty sure almost every one on here has. Well last year my so called friend needed a batterie because he broke down. So I traveled it to him leaving my spot at prime time to help him out. Took the boat back to my spot and fished. He then roles up next to me, so off course he knows now where I fish. This year I come out to find him in my spot with four unknown people in the boat. To me this is the worse possible senerio. Well now today on Facebook I find pics of them all up in my spot. I'm sick. I've put in eight years of fishing there ,and know it by the back of my hand. I have recently made it clear to him how messed up he is and that he disrespected me. He is a wanna be in my eyes.I have plenty spots and am not afraid to find more. But this just pisses me off!!!:frustrated:
That does suck man, and I think you have every right to be upset but with that being said, a couple quick questions: You left your spot to bring your friend a battery and then returned only to have said friend show up? Did he follow you back to your spot (unbeknownst to you) or just happen upon you on his travels back to wherever it was he was headed? I guess where I'm going with this question is how good of a friend is/was he, and how long had ya been fishing with him prior to this incident? It seems if you were A) Good friends or B) Had been fishing with him for any period of time, ya would have already shown him your honey hole.....though I'm guessing neither is true here? Your buddy being in your spot is one thing, your buddy dragging a bunch of goofballs down there who know nothing about fishing, I get that man and I have to agree with ya that that sucks. Did he see you catching fish in said spot or just fishing.....did ya make mention of it being one of your "honey holes" or did he think it was just another spot along the river? Did ya approach him in a non-confrontational manner at first, just pull him aside and explain that this was a fishing faux-pas, or did ya jump down his throat the next time ya saw him? I wonder how long he's been fishing or how good of a fisherman he is, maybe he didn't know the "unwritten rules" that to you or I, would be fairly common knowledge? Anyway not trying to bust balls man, I understand your point and think you have every right to be mad. One thing I have learned in fishing and in life though is there REALLY is no such thing as common sense. I assume ya don't talk to this guy any more but I'm sure you have at least a mutual friend or two between ya? It sure would be a shame if ya let on to a few other "honey holes" **wink** **wink** that haven't produced a fish since the great depression......if the guy wants to make his mark chasing reports then damnit, I say let him do just that!!!

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's alot of question but I'll try. He's my brothers best friend. My friend. He's new to striper fishing last year when he bought his first boat. He brought four newbee fisherman there last week.apparently one of the newbees has a boat and I acquired pictures through Facebook of them there.they 100 percent set up shop there everytime out. Cought them there twice. Was not very nice to him when I roled up the first time.because of the four newbees. It's 100 a blown favorite spot of mine now.like I said I'll stay away for a while and hope it calms down. I do know they cought nothing the first two times out but they got 5 last time. Musta hit the spot. :( I'm gonna go insearch mode next time out with the electronics in hopes of seeing something I like where there's not many boats.

· Registered
226 Posts
Real bummer bout your spot D, unfortunately when it comes to hot fishing locations, more often than not you quickly find out who your "real" friends are.

That said, this is what I would do. Now, if and only if you are 100% sure the spot is burned and would like to give them a dose of their own medicine here is how you proceed.

Head on over to craigslist and post ads in the Albany and Catskills area classifieds. Use a title like "HOT striper bite on Hudson River", lurkers will not be able to resist. Make the post believable though. Say that you and your brother have fished this hot bite for the last couple weeks, but you are going out of town for the remainder of the run and hate to see the great bite go wasted. Be sure to include local boat ramps to access the spot and exact GPS coordinates. There will be so many boats there by the weekend they wont be able to get near it.

You'll be fine since you already have other spots to fall back on and have the tools to find other spots. They, on the other hand, most likely will not recover, and probably give up.

Sometimes you've gotta fight fire with fire.

Good Luck man

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I may just start sinking boats. Lol no really theres plenty spots to fish. But I'm gonna be much more secretive from here on out. First all my pics will be nealing in the boat from up high. Just like my ice fishing pics Exept for seeing snow and ice you will see the bottom of my boat.It's sad to see her go. I won first in a derby fishing there. Got my biggest there which was a 45 inch slob.and have a consistent fish take of 3-6 fish per tide change year after year. Like I said I may sink em!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.