Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

fees for yaks and canoes?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  remy4u97 
#1 ·
They use the same river as I do but I have to pay boat and trailer reg. plus fishing fee they get a free ride. River towns are now making special spots just for the yak people still no fee.Is it that keep it green mentality? I don't get it.If they were charged would it lower my price?Or would it be just another State screwin? Now I pay 10 bucks to fish herrin and stripers so what is the State doin with that money stocking the river with those fish? I've had it with Gov!

#4 ·
You know finny, I was just thinking about this yesterday. I saw an article online that Athens is putting in a kayak/canoe launch at a spot they bought with DEC grant money. My problem is that if in fact it was DEC money, then I helped pay for that "hippie boat" launch and won't be using it! I was also thinking that they should have to pay like regular boaters do. Then I got thinking that it's alot like WMA's- if everyone who used them for nature walks, hiking, etc. had to pay to use them then that would give THEM a say as to what goes on there and many of them would probably push for hunting to stop within the Wildlife Management Areas they paid to use. It's a lose/lose situation.

#5 ·
Gunner that is a good point.Thats why I have mixed feelings about that whole yak thing. Some fish and most don't. Them greenies aint our friends and don't realize sportsmens money is the major supply that keeps woodland and fisherarys healthy.

#6 ·
sounds like you guys should sell your boats and buy kayaks :bluegrin:. But really I sure at some point the state will require non motorized boats to get registered. I know alot of the state parks in ny require permits to use their lakes. Plus kayak fishing is really becoming big so quite a few people have to pay for the fishing licenses.

#9 ·
I yak fish and have the fresh and marine license. Dmv is a different dog, although reg is not necessary on non motorized the moment you put a trolling motor on it is. Cost me $80.00 plus reg fees to register a 600.00 kayak. While I can use alot of spots that dont require fees, I still pay at the ones the stinkpots do. One of the reasons I gave up the boats was the costs and problems involved in owning them. The "kayak only" launch sites you are refering to is a mystery to me, not were I fish :) . Registration for the yaks is coming soon as well state can't pass up a free buck!:dizzy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.