Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now all we need is someone who can get deep downfield to open it up.

Pat's better start warming up the clandestine video cameras - they're going to need em

I can NOT believe that after 19 years this is the year we decided not to renew our season tickets.
I'm going to into the garage now to hit myself in the nuts with a hammer

·
18,706 Posts
I am glad its over for Brett. Now Ill get to see him play every sunday on free TV. They say he's going to live in Northfield N.J.
Lets see who's odd man out Clemons or Pennington.
Salary cap space is 12 million.
Chads price is higher.

·
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll wager Chad ends up in Tampa for a pick

·
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know if it's true or not but I heard that part of the agreement is that the Jets can't trade Chad to an NFC North team.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
i would doubt that they would go that far for brett favre. but WILL block him from going to the vikings however that is what they agreed to. i think the only thing that got him to come to ny is bubba franks is here cause he certainly didn;t wanna come here and made that abundantly clear. front office promised him some shit and a complete welcome mat to secure the deal and pretty much kid gloves. to have to subject himself to a year by year contract says volumes as he may struggle through this year and hang it up. i venture come mid december if the season goes downhill he pulls up lame and gets another shot somewhere else. (i woulda bet cash money he woulda went to tampa for the weather and closer to home. a win situation for the jets as pennington isn;t consistent and a shot in the arm is exactly what this team needs so :yay:jets

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
He'll be fine in the regular season, he may win 1 or 2 more games than Chad would, at least he wont be hurt more than healthy, It will be interesting to see how he fares in the AFC.... but IF they make the playoffs,.. he's still the same old Favre, if you look up interception in the dictionary... you will be sure to see his mug...... I'd be more worried about the future of the team.... the Pack got rid of him because they needed to get younger, as long as he hung around, he was a distraction and slowing the development of the team.. I really hope it works out for them, I like what he (Brett) brings to the table and think he still has something left in the tank... but in the long run....:smilierun:because he's over it...

·
18,706 Posts
The Jet - Cleveland game is on CBS tonight at 7.
Sudsy said:
I don't know if it's true or not but I heard that part of the agreement is that the Jets can't trade Chad to an NFC North team.
Jets released Chad so he's a free agent. They can't stop him from going to any team. Unless they paid him a sum of cash. The speculation is that he might end up in KC with Herman Edwards or with the guy who drafted him - Parcells in Miami. The perfect fit would be Minnesota with that dominant line and running game, plus act to tutor Tavaras Jackson and maybe even unseat him as a starter. If the Bears had any balls at all they would grab him up.
Roccus said:
he's still the same old Favre, if you look up interception in the dictionary... you will be sure to see his mug
Joe I think Brett is an upgrade no matter what way you look at it. The guy has football instincts and is more creative on the field than maybe even Fran Tarkenton. He takes the tough chances and throws into tough coverage. Its the same reason he has 429 career touchdowns. His record in Playoffs is 12 and 10. Im not sure hes over the hill just yet. To lose 10 playoff games means you were in a whole lot of them. Im not gonna go out on a limb and say the Jets make the playoffs but they could win 9 games and get in. Im hoping he has something left. IMO at 38 he's still better than 2/3rds of the league QBs.
The Jets have a big-time offensive line now with the additions of Faneka and the pro bowl Right tackle from Detroit (where he played as a guard) Damien Woody. Woody said its the best O-line hes' ever been a part of and he started on two Pat superbowl teams as a center.
Now the Jets have Faneka, ManGold, D'Brichashaw Ferguson, B. Moore and Woody.
The addition of 4 time pro bowl fullback Tony Richardson cant hurt the blocking for Brett.
The jets plan to play smashmouth football.
Bubba Franks will be a back up for Chris Baker. Cotchery, and Coles will be the wideouts. Leon Washington and Thomas Jones.
Ah its nice to have two teams in NY to root for. :a_dreaming:
:10187:

·
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bubba and Baker will likely be seeing a lot of bench time
Bubba might not even be on the roster come game time

Jets tight end Keller impressing

Monday, August 04, 2008 BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
Star-Ledger Staff

When the Jets traded up into the first round in last April's NFL Draft to select tight end Dustin Keller with the 30th pick overall -- they picked linebacker Vernon Gholston sixth overall -- the move left many observers scratching their heads. Tight end, it seemed, wasn't a major need with solid veteran Chris Baker on the roster.

Turns out, general manager Mike Tannenbaum knew exactly what he was doing.

Instead of drafting or trading for a big wide receiver to ignite the passing game, the Jets have apparently found that spark plug in Keller, a playmaking tight end in the mold of the Browns' Kellen Winslow and the Colts' Dallas Clark.

It appears the Jets finally have an offensive player who is going to keep opposing defensive coordinators up at night trying to devise a way to stop him.

In training camp, Keller, 6-2, 248 pounds, has been a difficult cover because he presents matchup problems for most linebackers and safeties with his speed and athleticism. He has lined up all over the field.
Keller provided a peek into his potential in Sunday's intra-squad scrimmage when he caught a 55-yard touchdown over safety Abram Elam on a seam route down the middle from quarterback Kellen Clemens. He broke Elam's tackle near the 30-yard line and coasted into the end zone. He finished with four catches for 79 yards and a touchdown.

"Dustin has been everywhere," said wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery. "He's doing a great job. He has everyone excited. You can only go as far as your rookies go during the season because the more they contribute to the team, the better off the team will be."

Coach Eric Mangini said the touchdown catch was an example of the problems Keller will present to defenses.

"I think that play is a really good look on how a tight end can affect the defense," said Mangini. "Deep down the middle of the field, he gets over the top, catches it, you miss one tackle and you go the distance.
"That puts a lot of pressure on defenses because they have to make a decision, how much coverage do you want to push outside the receivers and how wide-open do you want to leave that middle corridor. It's a stretch on opposing defenses."

Keller says he's having a blast. The possibilities seem endless and he's being exposed to a whole new world.

"I thought I was a pretty good receiving tight (end) in college, but coming here and talking to the coaches and (them) coaching me up on a whole bunch of different things has definitely opened my eyes up to a ton of different things."

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
i read this and am i reading it right? a jet fan to the end: wtf?

Sudsy said:
I can NOT believe that after 19 years this is the year we decided not to renew our season tickets.
I'm going to into the garage now to hit myself in the nuts with a hammer
:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: :dizzy:

·
18,706 Posts
Suds Keller has completely slipped under my radar. :4996:
Zim I dont think Joe was drunk because Buttle said he would have
colored up the language if he was in the locker room.
I think Ian Eagle and Buttle just didnt realize the audio didnt reach the viewers. ???
Would have liked to hear Joes thoughts on Brett aging and changing teams.
Joe was busted up when he went to the rams back in the day

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
The Jet - Cleveland game is on CBS tonight at 7.

Jets released Chad so he's a free agent. They can't stop him from going to any team. Unless they paid him a sum of cash. The speculation is that he might end up in KC with Herman Edwards or with the guy who drafted him - Parcells in Miami. The perfect fit would be Minnesota with that dominant line and running game, plus act to tutor Tavaras Jackson and maybe even unseat him as a starter. If the Bears had any balls at all they would grab him up.

Joe I think Brett is an upgrade no matter what way you look at it. The guy has football instincts and is more creative on the field than maybe even Fran Tarkenton. He takes the tough chances and throws into tough coverage. Its the same reason he has 429 career touchdowns. His record in Playoffs is 12 and 10. Im not sure hes over the hill just yet. To lose 10 playoff games means you were in a whole lot of them. Im not gonna go out on a limb and say the Jets make the playoffs but they could win 9 games and get in. Im hoping he has something left. IMO at 38 he's still better than 2/3rds of the league QBs.
The Jets have a big-time offensive line now with the additions of Faneka and the pro bowl Right tackle from Detroit (where he played as a guard) Damien Woody. Woody said its the best O-line hes' ever been a part of and he started on two Pat superbowl teams as a center.
Now the Jets have Faneka, ManGold, D'Brichashaw Ferguson, B. Moore and Woody.
The addition of 4 time pro bowl fullback Tony Richardson cant hurt the blocking for Brett.
The jets plan to play smashmouth football.
Bubba Franks will be a back up for Chris Baker. Cotchery, and Coles will be the wideouts. Leon Washington and Thomas Jones.
Ah its nice to have two teams in NY to root for. :a_dreaming:
:10187:
No defense.... that will be their downfall... no doubt the JETS had to make the deal, just for change sake.... the AFC teams he's( Favre) going to play will test him alot more than he's been tested in a long time, week after week, they( the Jets) more than likely will start the season 0 and 3( I looked at their schedule).... trouble with Favre, and all that have watched him know this to be true, when he gets behind, he gets reckless, reckless leads to INT's.....He's just not as sharp as he once was, he also no longer can shed would be tackelers like a lineman, as he once did, alot of his sucess was based on his mobility, that feature is no longer an option for him...
Just my opinion... What do I know....All that said, IMHO, he's one of the best to EVER play the game, he is exciting and can make things happen.. when he's in the game, it's not over until the final whistle sounds, a 70 yard bomb is not out of his reach.. something very few QB's in the NFL can boast.... It should be an interesting season...My guess is that Chad ( who I think is one of the more stand up guys in the NFL) will end up a Viking, that dink and dunkkwest coast offense with a brutal running attack is perfect for him, he may not have a cannon for an arm, but his field smarts are right up there with Brady and P. Manning.. and the old field general himself.....Mr Favre....

·
18,706 Posts
I think it will be a fun season too. Now that the Pats are sliding back to the pack you never know. :shocked:
The Jets were 10 and 6 two years ago. Last year they didnt have a QB worth a sh*t. :wheelchair:
:a_dreaming: Maybe they still dont. :4996:
Just breakin em Joe :yourock:

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts
If I may add to this Farve to the Jets discussion, I heard something on the Artie Spanier show that damn near caused me to drive off the road. He made the assinine statement that "The Jets have to be good as the Patriots now.......right?" I thought he was joking, unfortunately he was not. I'll give credit where credit's due, the moves they made should improve the team on both sides of the ball, but as good as a team that went 16-0 in the regular season last year, I think not!!!!! Farve, even at his age, is a considerable upgrade over Pennigton and I'd even agree that he's better than many QB's in the NFL. With the additions of Damion Woody and Alan Faneca to go alongside an explosive player like D'Brickshaw Ferguson, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that Farve will have plenty of protection up front. It also stands to reason that the running game, long regarded as lackluster at best, should benefit greatly. Grabbing Calvin Pace will add veteran presence to a young corps. of LB's that could spell BIG trouble for opposing QB's, RB's and TE's. The Jets were 4-12 last season, so far as Im concerned making a prediction that "They'll be better this year" isn't too far of a stretch......I sincerely doubt they'll be worse. As far as competing with the Pats for the top spot in the AFC East, I can't see it....not this year anyway. Granted, I am a bit partial cause I'm a HUGE Pats fan, but as a fan of the game, I shake my head in disbelief!!!!!!

P.S. An unknown media source today announced that the Jets have been in contact with the agent of Jets super fan 'Harry the Hard-Hatted Ass Clown' to fill the vacancy left by Jo-Jo the Idiot Circus Monkey on the Advanced Scout team. The purported deal, which was not confirmed by team officials, is said to include unlimited use of the team's practice facility, weight room and Chad pennington's personal shower, an annual base salary of $300/year and a lifetime supply of Drake's coffee cakes. Duties are said to include but not be limited to stealing signals from opposing huddles, assistant director of cheerleader personnell and development as well as the backup mascot. An announcement could come as early as today pending the completion of a physical and passing a series of drug tests. The N.Y. Jets and Harry Hard Hat will hold a joint press conference once final terms of the deal are agreed upon. :whistle:

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
i see em at 2 and 3 or 3 and 3 before game 7 when the chiefs come to ny. then it is a mixed bag after that. NE again/tenn./denver/seatle are most of which there is worry but the 49rs /st louis/buffalo twice and miami should be doable so it could go either way if brett stays healthy. i think he will get protected fairly well so could make the playoffs with this schedule.

·
Official Member
140 Posts
That new kid at TE sounds exactly like what they said about the other New York "Amazing Tight End"... Shockey. Hopefully this one proves to be better than the latter.

The Jets are really turning themselves around. If Favre doesn't pull 'em outta the slump, the new line and LB's surely will. Plus, with all the extra revenue of the new stadium, Favre, and the Giant's buzz, I'm sure next year will only be better for them in the front office.

All of this hooplah about Favre and the INT's, I can only rationalize it as he tries to carry his team on his back, because well, he always had to. He never had any huge go-to receivers. Look at Young or Montana, they had Rice and Owens. Who needs to force it when you have those targets? Or as much as I hate to admit it, Owens and Witten in Dallas for Romo. The list goes on. Then you have Favre... not many targets. Lets see what he does in the second half of this season, because you know the first half is going to be him trying to get adjusted to the new system.

All my humble 2cents, from a loving giant/ny fan.

ps, I heard bellicheck upgraded to a HighDef camera on his sideline.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.