Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish the South Shore of RI and it seemed every moron on the planet was out this weekend in their boat! I was swamped on both of my outings by guys simply not paying attention. I am beginning to really hate boaters! As a boat fisherman and yak fisherman, I'm torn.
The weekend was great. The area my dad and I fished was plugged with boats which is extremely unusual, very shallow water. We weree trolling tube&worm rigs and outfishing the boats 3 to 1. Caught over 15 fish from the kayak alone! Great weekend!

How'd everyone else do?
:usa:

Attachments

· Striper Hunter
987 Posts
I striper fish from shore but I do have a 24' recreational boat that I use in lakes for bass /trout sometimes but mostly to boat with the family. Water ski, tube, let the dog swim, etc. Every weekend there are morons out there but the holidays are always worse. Today alone I waited at the ramp while a guy pulled down and was preparing his boat in the water instead of in advance. Then of course there were a couple boats dragging tubes in the no wake beach area. People driving there boats in irrational patterns as though they can go anywhere at anytime, boats zipping in and out of tight spaces, and of course as we are leaving there's a boat going in through the no wake zone in front of us pulling a tuber all the way in to the boat ramp.

I try not to turn it into a competition of me against the fishing boats, kayaks, canoes, divers, etc. We all have to share...just some are more responsible than others although it certainly can get frustrating

But it seems good for your fishing area. Some nice catches this weekend it looks like. I can't imagine how helpless and nervewracking it must feel to get swamped by morons not paying attention. As a boater I do try to be responsible for myself and respectful of others but it is tough at times

· Registered
369 Posts
Yeah man totally right! I was out on a breachway during the 4th of july, and man i'm begginging to hate boaters as well... Apparently no wake in the breahway doesnt apply to most people. But they will have some guys lines in their engines to pay for that...

· Cow Catcher
937 Posts
WTG on your catches...But every 4th is the same BS With drunk boat drivers. I would not want to be out there on a Yak with them ignorant bastards.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After the first couple of close calls, you learn to keep a 7/0 weighted treble at the ready. They make a real deep THUD on the hull, usually wakes up the daydreaming/drunk/stupid boat operators! As a bonus, I find it pretty funny when all of the boat occupants are ducking and running for cover as I wind up for the second toss! This method is not for all but is quite effective and usually will provide PLENTY of room to continue fishing!:bluegrin:

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way, I want to clarify....

I own a boat, fish from a boat and generally love boating! The "idiots" I am referring to are the weekend warriors that hardly ever or maybe never fish. I understand there is a learning curve to running a boat amongst others while fishing, but it always seems the "idiots" always are the guys talking up a big game and bragging of their vast experience. Where as an experienced fisherman or the guy really interested in learning will wait to figure out the traffic pattern and then wait for his opening as opposed to the "idiot" that charges to the middle of the group and starts deploying whatever tackle he has (usually a 10 ft. spinning rod on the boat that is being reeled in upsidde down).

I find boat fisherman (the experienced ones) a fairly welcoming bunch, as long as you're not trying to push them off of their spot!

I just wanted to clarify that.

· Registered
558 Posts
I went to the cape this past weekend and left the boat at home for that very reason. I have seen what happens on crowded weekends. I fished from shore. in the next few weeks I might take the boat out but only on weekdays. no weekends for me. to many looneys. and drunkards. plus I mostly fish nights and early mornings. they are not out that early anyway.

· First Mate
1,198 Posts
There should be a law against the guys that anchor in everyone's drift path. If everyone drifts the current, then all is well. A couple guys anchored and it's a cluster "you know what", especially with the guys that don't get out often.:smiliedoh:

· King of Eels
4,227 Posts
I was going to let this one slide, but I cant... there are plenty of IDIOT kayakers as well..you all tend to forget that this is a new craze....the latest "in thing".. 20 years ago, there were no 'yakers going out on the water where the power boats"play".... you obviously were in deep enough water to allow them to be on plane so you need to take your medicine.. or stay in the no wake zone...that said...
there are good and bad in both worlds, just last night I saw 4 nit wits in a power boat that dropped anchor at a virtual planing speed ( this is the second time I saw them do this in less than a week) I asked them if they were born stupid or had they been working on it for awhile.. they were to dumb to answer.. I think all states should have mandatory boating coarse and you must pass one before you take ownership and or navigate your boat... that said.. it's time to register all kayaks and canoes...that way when when YOU guys get out of hand we have a legal recourse instead of mob justice.

Everyone on the water needs to be more aware of others... I lost a very nice fish to a 'yaker in broad daylight that kept paddling over a fish even after I waved him off... he had the nerve to tell me " it's just a stupid fish" when I flipped out after he cut it off on his rudder.. I've had several 'yakers on different occasions circle my boat as I fought a fish trying to hook up.. so you boys are not so innocent...

I've done my best to "play nice" with the kayaks that have invaded the fishing grounds that once only saw motor boats, and so do other boaters that I know, there are certain 'yaks that I see every night, I recognize their head lamps, light configurations and the flags they post on their fishing vessels.. we even exchange info.. these guys belong out there... they have adapted as we boaters must if we are going to fish together.. I think the time for registration of these small crafts is long over due...

Anyone going onto the water ways on the 4th of July weekend should expect the worse.. if you cant run with the big dogs.. stay on the porch!

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the way, I want to clarify....

I own a boat, fish from a boat and generally love boating! The "idiots" I am referring to are the weekend warriors that hardly ever or maybe never fish. I understand there is a learning curve to running a boat amongst others while fishing, but it always seems the "idiots" always are the guys talking up a big game and bragging of their vast experience. Where as an experienced fisherman or the guy really interested in learning will wait to figure out the traffic pattern and then wait for his opening as opposed to the "idiot" that charges to the middle of the group and starts deploying whatever tackle he has (usually a 10 ft. spinning rod on the boat that is being reeled in upsidde down).

I find boat fisherman (the experienced ones) a fairly welcoming bunch, as long as you're not trying to push them off of their spot!

I just wanted to clarify that.
I should have broadened my clarification...
I agree.There are IDIOTS in kayaks as well! Everyone on the water deserves their space. I don't have a problem dealing with wakes. What I do have a problem with are the guys that motor through an area of boats and kayaks that are fishing. These guys were rocking the boats I was fishing in and around, just alot worse in a kayak, as a matter of fact, the guys fishing from their boats were screaming at these guys also. I have no problem taking my medicine when I'm wrong, but in this case it was the asshats in the boat. I understand fishing from a 'yak leaves you a alot more vulnerable to the water but there is a certain amount of courtesy that should be provided to a human powered boat. That being said, it does not give that vessel the right to interfere with another boater or guy from shore. I do agree that there should be some level of training required before heading out, but as of right now their is none. Like I said, I also own a boat and do the majority of my fishing from it. I AM NOT SLAMMING BOATERS! I am slamming the "idiot" on the water that wrecks a spot by charging in, anchoring, circling to close, or by simply not using common sense! I just posted in the kayak forum because it was fresh on my mind from the weekend and I happened to be in my kayak.
As far as headlamps and light configurations, one thing I have learned and feel pretty strongly about is night kayaking. This is only my opinion but I think it is down right suicidal. Too much can go wrong. I have tried it a couple of times and you won't catch me out there again. Fog, thunderstorms, wind, etc. come out of no where. Human power is no match for mother nature. Second reason is plain visiblity. Low on the water, usually having unadequate equipment, they're just plain hard to see. Now throw in one or more of mother nature's little hiccups and for me, it's too damn risky. I know there will be guys that don't like this, so keep in mind, it's just my opinion!

· First Mate
1,198 Posts
I think the key word here is IDIOT. There are no shortage of them. I took the boater safety course twice. First time with my son, and second time with my other son. I could only take the test once since I passed the first time. I also spent many years boating on the biggest lake in New Hampshire, and whether on saltwater of fresh, there are folks that simple do not have common sense, or are just stupid.

The size of your boat has no relationship to the size of your brains, even though it seems like the bigger boats have less respect for smaller vessels. Common sense says that a smaller vessel can handle less wake than a larger vessel, so why do these guys power up when they go by? When I come up to a smaller vessel, I slow the hell down, and I usually get a thankyou and a wave out of it. I'd rather that than the one finger waves some of these guys deserve.

One of my retirement dreams is to get a job with Marine Patrol. These guys have no problems finding idiots. I don't need to get paid for it, but knowing that you might save a life is enough.

First time I took the course, the instructor asked about methods people use to remember "port" side. A woman raises her hand and says that she remembers because you drink PORT wine until there is non LEFT. I hope she doesn't plan on driving after she finishes the bottle.

· King of Eels
4,227 Posts
This has turned out to be a very civil thread.. I like it! this thread should be a lesson on how CIVIL discussions are held... the only real insightful word is IDIOT.. and because we ALL deal with them every day.. it does seem to apply..They are not limited to boats ( powered and non) look how most of them drive their automobiles...

Ricksi made a statement about the size of the boat is not related to the size of the brain... in some instances.. the bigger the boat.. the smaller the brain it seems.. I also like the Port comment...sadly that is how too many people think...with Budweiser taking the place of the port... something you will NEVER see a fisherman in a Kayak do...

55Chev..you would be mortified at the number of Kayaks I see on the water at night... some nights, I have seen as many as 50, an average is about a dozen at once... most of the smarter ones use the buddy system and have GPS units.. what some of these guys dont realize is, as you stated, they are very low to the water, spotting them on a moonless night is difficult.. who expects to find a 'yak 1/2 or 3/4 of a mile from the nearest land at 2AM?.. I know the light configurations in my area, I use them to judge my drifts by, fishing a center console I have better view of the land scape and anything out of place and can tell when something is not right, visibility is pretty good from my perch.. but a 25' sport fisherman cant see them or pick them up on their radar, at times they are out near the channel.. scary and I fear for those guys... sadly, it's only a matter of time until someone gets killed.. I hope I'm not fishing that night.

... many a night even in the fog I've come across multiple 'yaks up in the shallows along the grassy banks.... great place for all of us to hide from the " Idiots" .. next time we'll speak in softer terms.. just call 'em morons.. even if Idiots are a better description.

tight lines
Roc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.