Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
First Mate
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what does everyone think as to the timing of the striper run this year? I'm thinking that with the extreme lack of snow cover here in Mid-January coupled with a strong El Nino, we're going to see an early run. In fact, I'm starting my annual two week striper vacation a week earlier this year.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
It will be interesting for sure. I know we are not out of the woods for snow yet, but man we're almost halfway thru Jan already :icon_thumright:

I just hope we don't get a dreaded March/April snow pounding to make up for the lack now.

3 months there will be fish here for sure !!

BB

·
First Mate @ Ace Charters
761 Posts
If last year wasn't crazy enough with the water temps. so high so soon. Now with this weird warm winter, It's going to be interesting. With the El Nino shifting - giving us a more normal weather pattern for this time of year. I guess it's going to be a wait and see thing.

·
wellsley
391 Posts
It will be interesting for sure. I know we are not out of the woods for snow yet, but man we're almost halfway thru Jan already :icon_thumright:

I just hope we don't get a dreaded March/April snow pounding to make up for the lack now.

3 months there will be fish here for sure !!

BB
Or how about 4ft of snow over valentines day.

·
swabbie
170 Posts
It would be nice to have an early run so we can get back to fishing! Does anyone know if the regulation changes for last year are going to be the same for this year regarding the size slots?

·
761 Posts
It would be nice to have an early run so we can get back to fishing! Does anyone know if the regulation changes for last year are going to be the same for this year regarding the size slots?
Same so far... have to keep an eye on it as we get closer. Those dam "emergency" regs. stink!

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
I'm betting on early. A few years ago I was catching bait in March and landed my first fish of the season on April 2nd out of Greene County. Ok ok, I'm ancy.

Oh, and here's to another run, fellas! Good to see ya.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am guessing early run. I am just hoping more fish make it north...Last year was awfully rough for me. Though it is always possible I just happened to miss the schools every single time I went out!

·
Official Member
72 Posts
An early run you say..... Well, if it's any indicator, it's a leap year, and the robins have already appeared here in the proximity of the Troy Dam (2/28/16).

A winter with only (1) major storm along the eastern seaboard, and very little sub-zero weather to speak of whatsoever. As for snow thusfar...forget about it. There's no snow to speak of in the Adirondacks, let alone the Albany area and south to the GW Bridge.

Now, will the striped bass commence the annual migration from Chesapeake Bay early is, as usual, anybody's guess. I've always been inclined to believe the striper's, much like the whitetail deer, make their move based on the number of daylight hours in any given day, rather than water temperature, or water clearity...but what do I know.

In retrospect, last year was by far the "worst season" I've ever witnessed on the Hudson, and I've been doing this almost half a century... I am convinced the commercial fisherman have depleted the striped bass population almost to extinction..

World scientists predict the ocean's of the world will be void of fish within (10) years unless strict guidelines are placed via Governmental Legislation, but let's not go there today...

We will all know soon enough... The bass charts the last 15 years in the Hudson indicate a downward spiral rather than a trend in striped bass populations. The shad have all but disappeared in the Hudson compared to 10 years ago... What's next..?

Weather this winter in the Northeast has been blamed on trade winds resulting from El Nino. Now that's odd considering El Nino occurs in the Pacific off the coat of South America... Go figure..!

See ya on the beach....

Bluesman

·
swabbie
170 Posts
Those are really nice reels for the price webs. I have two of the 80B's on Ugly Stik Tiger two piece rods and I really like them.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I fished Schroon last saturday. plenty of ice in the middle but the shorelines were broken up. put all the ice gear away on sunday. i did however buy the ION auger...used it 6 days. awesome piece of equipment.

time to start getting the big fish gear ready. I think we should be seeing herring in albany around 1-2 weeks in April.....then its on. A buddy boughta house down in Tivoli so we'll give that area a try this year.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I fished Schroon last saturday. plenty of ice in the middle but the shorelines were broken up. put all the ice gear away on sunday.
I'm ice fishing again this weekend ..... both days laughing7.gif

We had a great outing last weekend with a bunch of lakers and a salmon on the tipup ...... talk about tasty!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Glad you have had a good year guys! Been a little slow for me. Personal best salmon and perch, but I didn't get out as much as I would have liked to. I take risks in the kayak...but iffy ice makes me uncomfortable!

·
761 Posts
The weather is getting interesting ... Starting Monday it looks like it's going to be in the 50's for 11 straight days. Water off Sandy Hook is 42*. Once that water hits 48*, we usually start to see Stripers 7-10 days after.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Glad you have had a good year guys! Been a little slow for me. Personal best salmon and perch, but I didn't get out as much as I would have liked to. I take risks in the kayak...but iffy ice makes me uncomfortable!
Where did you get your salmon??

Lake George has been giving up salmon regularly this winter for the first time in years.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Made the drive to Eaton a few times (brood stock). Good looking fish in that lake, but it is SLOW for action. I am hoping to make it out in the 'yak on George as soon as that pesky ice gets off.

·
Lunker
385 Posts
I hope so. I also hope that we don't get the spike in water temp. 2yrs ago fish were being caught first week of april

1 - 20 of 22 Posts