Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

dumb question from a dumb person

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Bootnutz666 
#1 ·
dumb question

I just picked up some of those panther-martin bunker swimbait thingies and dont really know how to use them? Is there a technique for using them....what depth should i run the lure and at what speed? And also are these lures good to use in Hull Mass which is were i fish out of? Thanks for any help and heres a picture of them so you guys can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.panthermartin.com/LureGroup.aspx?lureGroupID=17

#2 ·
They are similar to what I fish, Storms and Sassy shads. I noticed the picture has the bait rigged on just a hook. As an option you should pick-up some stout jig-heads. These type baits tend to track better with jig-heads rather than plain hooks. I do use just plain hooks on occassion, especially with sluggos.

You must vary the presentation to fnd what works for the conditions you're fishing. In general I find that when using those type baits, the fish will pick up the bait during the fall so I generally use a retrieve and rest cadence to induce this fall.

Try visualizing the baits action during your retrieve as if there's a fish watching it and add/substract various actions until you establish the pattern.

I was out fishing for LMB on my pond last night using rubber worms, no weight and hooked weedless. For the first hour I had only taken 1 small fish but I could see a lot of activity from some bigger fish. Normally this type of rig is fished very slow will slight finesse movements. I finally tried a very fast reteive with slight jerks and then stopped the bait dead at a point that looked bassy. That was the ticket...I picked up 4 fish in about 20 minutes, two of which were over 3 lbs.

#3 ·
How I fish these types of lures, the Storm shads, Panther Martin types, is a slow retrieve, like stop and go. Most of the time you'll get a slam or a bump on the stop. If you can bounce 'em off the bottom, go for it. Tha depends on your current. I'll use these things, 5" all the way up to the really large ones. thumbsup.gif

#7 ·
Never a dumb question bro! Don't beat yerself up like that. The biggest tip I could give is variation. Vary your presentation untill you find how the fish are liking it that day. It might be on top, by fast trolling, or more than likely down just off the bottom. Just try to "see" what your bait is doing, and imagine a fish behind it, sometimes stopping suddenly will trigger a bite, same with accelerating that might trigger a bite too. Try it you might be surprised.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.