Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Critque my day please.

Tags
critque day
3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
I was out today during the two hour proceeding High Tide. I was on a the north side of a river island in which the main current runs south of the island (about a 60/40 split though). Initially I was fishing into rocky shallows that met a bridge abutment that the current was flowing under. I tried drifting rattle-lip plugs and surface plugs in there as well as black and white Slug-gos done top middle and bottom ( although not as painfully slow as I probably should have). I then turned about and cast every thing into and across the current all ways. Then I moved down to a point that stuck out into the river more. I targeted the back side of a rock formation and the riffles along the main current and the slack(ish) water and into a gap in the weeds. No luck at all. I drew a picture. Any thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like you did everything right.
Three possibilities:
Try it at night
Throw some jigs, you'll want to tik em along on the bottom.
Try on the opposite tide - some spots produce on different tides (and to make things more complicated that can change season to season).

If you're sure this is a spot that holds fish, try working it on every part of the tide - at night, in the day, and at dawn and dusk. You'll reach a point where you know the spot so well you can just know when the fish will be there and when they won't

#3 ·
in the river i fish the bass and blues charge up the river at the early stages of the incoming.
at high water, even though i'm up far enough that there is no noticeable change in level or flow, it's more of a crap shoot. what works here is to get down current of whatever structure and cast up past it with jigs or storms. don't ignore the upcurrent side of bridge pilings many times there's a small hollow right in front of it that holds fish. good luck

#4 ·
With bass, I like the outgoing tide. I would try the same locations, with some of the other members suggestions, as well as what you were doing, on the outgoing.
I have caught bass on the high incoming, but prefer an out going tide.
If the river is moving fast, try heavier baits.thumbsup.gif

#6 ·
Good job given the tidal conditions, I couldn't think of much more to do.

Sometimes you got to think like a fish. If I were a bass, I would know that there are a number of feeder streams just up river from where you are, and since i am lazy I would wait til after the high tide drops and flushes bait out of the streams and they come ripping through the main channel all confused and just pick them up. I would probably hold up along the sand bar just inshore of the word "main" in your map.

To fish this spot try one rod with chunk on the bottom along the edge where the sand bar drops off and with another rod cast a heavy jig with a worm or plastic up river towards the bridge and bounce it back through the main channel.

#7 ·
Good job given the tidal conditions, I couldn't think of much more to do.

Sometimes you got to think like a fish. If I were a bass, I would know that there are a number of feeder streams just up river from where you are, and since i am lazy I would wait til after the high tide drops and flushes bait out of the streams and they come ripping through the main channel all confused and just pick them up. I would probably hold up along the sand bar just inshore of the word "main" in your map.

To fish this spot try one rod with chunk on the bottom along the edge where the sand bar drops off and with another rod cast a heavy jig with a worm or plastic up river towards the bridge and bounce it back through the main channel.
So THAT'S what was causing all the ripples in the water! I tried to cast out past it, thinking it was a rock formation, but only got onto it. Practice, practice, practice I guess.

On a side note: some young fell came plowing through there in his old tri-hull WFo when he hit that bar. All but knocked his girlfriend clean out of the boat. He slowed WAY down after that but kept yelling at her for not hanging on tight.bash.gif

#8 ·
i will venture the air pressure was steady and it was very humid/ some of the worse fishing days i have had are in conditions like that (not to say i have not caught fish on one occasion or so) but this weather pattern has held for over a week here and i have not heard of anything shore fishing/ sandsharks/skates aside/ you will know when to go fishing (or not) in time. you stay here and listen to these folks and you can get a jist of productive days and non productive days. right now the bluefish have spawned and the fishing should pick up as if there are any bass around (as well as resident bass) they will follow the schools of bluefish as they maraud the spearing/mullet and peanut bunker along the shoreline so me thinks there is a shot at some fish next week on the flyrod./

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.