Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am super new to fishing Stripers.There are only a handfull of people fishing in the are I intend to fish, and the local tackle shops have only starting selling surf-type gear just the last few years.There have been a number of people fishing Mud sharks[Spiny Dogfish I think]for several years in the area and stripers have just started showing up.I ventured out yesterday in what I thought would be a likely spot, about 2 hours before high tide to find a half a dozen or so of the local experts set up on the beach.From what I could see, they were using high low rigs with chunks of shad.They seemed to be a very tight lipped bunch claiming to be after Sharks, so I got my gear and found a very hard rock to sit on further down the beach, and let them have their space.Some friends who met up with me later, first chatted with the locals before seeing me further down the beach.In the few hours that had passed the locals had had quite a few beers and were much more in the mood to talk, and told my buddies about fish they had caught a few days ago, and had shown them some Striper belly skin that they were also using on their rigs.I was also using a high low rig with a 4 oz. sinker.I do a lot of fur trapping and have a steady supply of american eel which I use as bait, so that's what I was using.No one caught fish.For leaders off my rig I was using coated steel, as for the mud sharks in the area, with fresh eel chunks about 3-4 inches long, on 0/7 hooks.This area is mostly mud flats with a lot of waves and a very fast tide.The water is always chocolate milk brown.Should I be using the high low rig, or just one leader with a larger chunk of eel?Also if using a larger chunk of bait, should it be set up with two hooks?I very sorry for writing a novel, I'm just trying to give you guys a feel on my situation.I have today off from work and am going take a drive on the other side of the bay.The area I was in yesterday was located where two major rivers empty into the bay.I couldn't help but notice the nice beach on the opposite side, which seemed to stay deeper at low tide.Any and all advice will be much welcomed.Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Hi there, welcome to the site. What part of the world are you fishing in? If I were you, I'd be much more inclined to use those eels live, rather than chunking them. Do a search here on fishing 'Live eels' and you'll come across a buttload of info on how to correctly use eels as bait for stripers. thumbsup.gif

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Ahhh yes,, I suspected that given your description of the water. We have a pretty good Canadian contingent on here. Perhaps someone more familiar with your area will pipe up soon thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
ah muddy brown water. (i love it) this is a condition most fish are not afraid of negotiating as it has cover from predators like sharks and the such. my advise is to use not only a hi-lo rig but a pungent bait of choice. these fish cannot see the offering in most cases and are relying on sense of smell. if your offering is not fresh or not to thier liking it will be ignored from a distance however. if there are an abundance of nuisance fish in the area a smelly chunk will draw them near and doggies will be abound. i am not familiar with that neck of the woods but if i were to fish it for the first time armed with what you told me i would use a 5/0 gamakatsu with a clam with a sinkerslide and 3 or 4 oz weight. holding the rod in your hand instead of spiking it in the ground, the hits are not violent as if it smells the bait to begin with. she will pick it up and move off with it and you do not want to miss that opportunity. (a hi lo is used primarily to cover the bottom and a foot and a half of the water column above "more bait for a better chance at a fish is why they use it and the doggies always find the one on the bottom but the hook above is usually the one that gets the bass") use the hi lo if dogfish are molesting the clam. clam is not as potent as the fish oils on the chunks but you will encounter doggies and such but the bass will tune in on it quickly. another trick in murky water (which i don;t condone the use of but know it works_) is taking a chunk of bait and spraying WD40 on a piece of sponge just above the hook. sometimes one does what one has to do for the cause. lol good luck on the hunt. btw, stay down current from people fishing with bait as if fish lose track of what they smelled coming in with the current they will be tuned in more to find your offering. if you are fishing clam stay above any baiters as the offering you give may get smelled first on the incoming tide and not be likely found by the doggies. the bass will be relying on sense of smell and you do not want to use the clam or any bait with your bare hands. the oils on your fingers will ward off the bass as it WILL notice it so fishing in this water you need to bear in mind every aspect of what you offer them must be authentic and void of any human influence.thumbsup.gif

·
3,471 Posts
I dare anyone to read these two posts back to back and not go blind. :einstein:

Guys - you ever hear of things like paragraph breaks and capitalizing the first word in a sentence?
I'm not the grammar/spelling police, not by a long shot, but these are really, really physically hard to read. Break em up a little, add some gaps and spaces and more people will read them and you'll get more replies

I am super new to fishing Stripers.There are only a handfull of people fishing in the are I intend to fish, and the local tackle shops have only starting selling surf-type gear just the last few years.There have been a number of people fishing Mud sharks[Spiny Dogfish I think]for several years in the area and stripers have just started showing up.I ventured out yesterday in what I thought would be a likely spot, about 2 hours before high tide to find a half a dozen or so of the local experts set up on the beach.From what I could see, they were using high low rigs with chunks of shad.They seemed to be a very tight lipped bunch claiming to be after Sharks, so I got my gear and found a very hard rock to sit on further down the beach, and let them have their space.Some friends who met up with me later, first chatted with the locals before seeing me further down the beach.In the few hours that had passed the locals had had quite a few beers and were much more in the mood to talk, and told my buddies about fish they had caught a few days ago, and had shown them some Striper belly skin that they were also using on their rigs.I was also using a high low rig with a 4 oz. sinker.I do a lot of fur trapping and have a steady supply of american eel which I use as bait, so that's what I was using.No one caught fish.For leaders off my rig I was using coated steel, as for the mud sharks in the area, with fresh eel chunks about 3-4 inches long, on 0/7 hooks.This area is mostly mud flats with a lot of waves and a very fast tide.The water is always chocolate milk brown.Should I be using the high low rig, or just one leader with a larger chunk of eel?Also if using a larger chunk of bait, should it be set up with two hooks?I very sorry for writing a novel, I'm just trying to give you guys a feel on my situation.I have today off from work and am going take a drive on the other side of the bay.The area I was in yesterday was located where two major rivers empty into the bay.I couldn't help but notice the nice beach on the opposite side, which seemed to stay deeper at low tide.Any and all advice will be much welcomed.Thanks
ah muddy brown water. (i love it) this is a condition most fish are not afraid of negotiating as it has cover from predators like sharks and the such. my advise is to use not only a hi-lo rig but a pungent bait of choice. these fish cannot see the offering in most cases and are relying on sense of smell. if your offering is not fresh or not to thier liking it will be ignored from a distance however. if there are an abundance of nuisance fish in the area a smelly chunk will draw them near and doggies will be abound. i am not familiar with that neck of the woods but if i were to fish it for the first time armed with what you told me i would use a 5/0 gamakatsu with a clam with a sinkerslide and 3 or 4 oz weight. holding the rod in your hand instead of spiking it in the ground, the hits are not violent as if it smells the bait to begin with. she will pick it up and move off with it and you do not want to miss that opportunity. (a hi lo is used primarily to cover the bottom and a foot and a half of the water column above "more bait for a better chance at a fish is why they use it and the doggies always find the one on the bottom but the hook above is usually the one that gets the bass") use the hi lo if dogfish are molesting the clam. clam is not as potent as the fish oils on the chunks but you will encounter doggies and such but the bass will tune in on it quickly. another trick in murky water (which i don;t condone the use of but know it works_) is taking a chunk of bait and spraying WD40 on a piece of sponge just above the hook. sometimes one does what one has to do for the cause. lol good luck on the hunt. btw, stay down current from people fishing with bait as if fish lose track of what they smelled coming in with the current they will be tuned in more to find your offering. if you are fishing clam stay above any baiters as the offering you give may get smelled first on the incoming tide and not be likely found by the doggies. the bass will be relying on sense of smell and you do not want to use the clam or any bait with your bare hands. the oils on your fingers will ward off the bass as it WILL notice it so fishing in this water you need to bear in mind every aspect of what you offer them must be authentic and void of any human influence.thumbsup.gif

·
4,419 Posts
sleepy4.gifYea a line break or :yay: a happy face or something. sleep.gif

Paulies already blind. jerk.gif

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
what are you locked up in the house or something? get a life already! i heard the skates were in thick at no. monmouth :lff3: here's your smiley break. btw, this year the fish are gonna ride the bait outside all the way to the outer banks. better get to montauk bookworm!

Attachments

·
3,471 Posts
Now that was clear and concise

Well done thumbsup.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.