Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Rubber Shad Ex-spert
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So the fake bait hasn't worked yet. Using live sandworms has . . . for catching eels! this one particular place is loaded with huge eels, and they are nearly impossible for me to release alive without simply cutting the hook (good bye 6/0 circle hook).

1) As far as drifting worms with a fish finder, do you more experienced fishermen use something to keep it off the bottom? I hear people use a split shot, but I can't see the reason why. Do fluke rigs work good for striper? I imagine a fluke rig would scare the fish away. It would keep it off the bottom however. So is it good to always go with a fluke rig when drifting bait?

2) Since you can catch giant eels here by reaching in and grabbing them, how would you go about fishing? Lures? Bait? Eels? I do not like fishing with eels. It's too expensive, but I'll only use them if I trap them myself.

Thanks
-dp
(anyone know of a good eel recipe?)

·
Rubber Shad Ex-spert
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
haven't had much luck using live eels. Toss them out softly, be patient until they reach the bottom, then slowly reel in . . . I know. It just dose not seem to work.

Is that what you would recomend? Live eels?

I have enough respect for a guy like you Zim, that if you said so, I'll go out and spend the money on a dozen eels and try try again.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts