Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
4,419 Posts
Mikey.
Check out this page for some tips. I'll write another article called chunking from the surf. Its pretty easy. read the article on how to catch a striped bass. It has some stuff worth reading in it. Its for the very, very beginner though. I'll add some more stuff later.
Jim
http://stripers247.com/beginnersclinic.htm

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive also heard of that trick that ya drill holes in a sardine can attach a wait to it and throw it out there has anyone ever done that?? i might try that just to boost the confidence :? :)

Thanks

·
Grouchy old Bassturd
1,033 Posts
I've done the sardine trick from a boat plenty when I was a kid.
Eventually smartened up.
Save the scraps left from filleting fish. Everything! heads guts, rack, tail, skins, everything. Even unused bait, caught crabs, trash fish. Everything and anything.
Freeze it, slice it, run it through a grinder. Repack it into butter bowels, add enough water to fill voids, and refreeze.
For fishing, dump it out of the bowl (still frozen) and put it in a old onion bag with a rock or heavy sinker. Tie it off the up current side of the boat (bow?) so it bounces on the bottom with normal wave/boat action.
Used to be called "Flounder Pounders" back when. Works good on piers too when worked by hand.
We caught a lot of winter flounder, fluke, bass, blackfish, and all sorts of finny critters with the method. If you put all inside a used, loose pair of pany hose, Blueshell crabs will bet tangled and it becomes a nice by-catch. Won't get many, but you'll get a few in a day of fishing.

·
3,471 Posts
Lots of info here. Try doing a search first.
In the main and surfcasting forums try chunk, chunks, and also chunking. You'll find almost everything you need to know about high low rigs, proper amoputns of lead, fishfinder rigs, best rods, best reels, how to read the water and figure out whre and when to cast. (personally I liketossing chunks into the whitewater on top of an outside bar, preferably as the sun is just coming up or going down, either that or clams around rocks right after a storm)
Save and print up the stuff you think will work for you. I usually copy to MS Word and then store away all the really good stuff, sort of like my own private fishing library. When you're done reading, come back here and ask questions about any items you might still be a bit fuzzy on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts