Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Official Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen mackerel vacuum sealed and frozen for later use as either chum or chunking. Can the same technique be used for bunker? If frozen fresh will it still be as effective as if freshly caught. Does anyone vacuum seal chum and if so any tips?

JD

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maks freeze better but when ever your freezing anything get it as fresh as you can then vac seal and freeze.

You can vac seal chum and freeze it but will take alot of bags a good quality vac sealer and a lot of freezer space.

and know its not as good as fresh but better then nothing

·
4,419 Posts
bumpersluck said:
I have seen mackerel vacuum sealed and frozen for later use as either chum or chunking. Can the same technique be used for bunker? If frozen fresh will it still be as effective as if freshly caught. Does anyone vacuum seal chum and if so any tips?
Yes but you must draw the water out first.
Fresh frozen will thaw as mush if you dont draw the water off.
Use a 50 quart of so cooler with a drain hole. Newspaper on the bottom with a covering of Kosher salt. ( No iodine).
~ 1 pound of salt - 5 pounds of fish.
Layer the bunker drenched in salt for 24 hours - and then vaccum seal them.
Make sure the seal is tight. Freezer burned bunker is crap.

http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=3852

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
i have vac sealed bunker and froze for a couple of months.
wife bugged out at the eyes staring in her face when she cleaned out the freezer. they looked as alive as they were when i sucked the air out of em.
i WILL fish bait and don't claim to be that fly guy/sharpie that alot of us do. i don't think (when the situation to fish bait is warranted) "that aside for eels" anything beats a bunker head for striped bass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts