Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chasing reports is yesterdays fish.
The information contained below is posts from a thread where a user complained about not getting much practical info (except advice about looking for birds) from other members that he could use to put him on the fish. He has since quit because he didnt like the replies. He told me so in a Dear Jim email. shake.gif I have made some updates and changes to make it a quick reference to some very informative threads.

Like What kind of structure were they found in etc.????
While structure is important to stripers its not nearly as important as the presence of bait. All fish relate one way or another to structure, shelter or cover. They use it for protection from predators, to escape from direct sunlight, for feeding and, in some cases, for spawning.
Find the bait and you will find the fish. The striped bass is the predator and uses structure to hunt.
Structure is defined as any disruption in the bottom. It can be many things. docks, rocks, pilings, piers, wood, shadows, drop offs, eddies, sand bars, downed trees, bridge abutments any change in the contour of the beach or bottom. A cove, inlet, outflows, washouts, all places to look for fish. Even a little creek bringing rain water into another water body is a good place to look for fish. The tiniest of bugs are washed down and the food chain soon follows the food.
Look for moving water and bait. Thats the key. Find the bait and match the hatch or chunk a bunker head , or cast and retrieve live eels somewhere where you have had success in the past and put your time in.
You could at least say where they are on the trip south
Or will everybody wait until they are gone????
There are some 60 million fish migrating from as far North as the St. Johns River in Nova scotia to their wintering grounds off of Cape hattaras North Carolina. They move as the days get shorter and the water temperature gets colder during the moon tides. Cold fronts will move the mullett, peanut bunker, spearing and sand eels out of the back bays and the bass will follow. They show up in waves and large schools, sometimes incredible amounts of fish move together. This will happen throughout the fall and there is no precise time or location. Water temperature, bait and daylight or some of the factors involved.
Start here.
There is a ton of information in the Sweetwater and Hybrid forums for perusal as well.​

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Theres no exact science or master plan. I look for a rock beach and find a big rock. Or i look for a back bay with muscle beds, or some eel grass. On a sand beach I look for changing contour. It is best to scout at low tide. Although there is not much contour around Staten Island where I like to fish. Except maybe some sand bars in different locations that shift a bit.
Im not really sure what more can be said on the subject outside of pointing out favorite spots. I cant even fish mine any more because of the crowds. I show up at the high tide late at night when possible. Its a small area and can be seen from the road. When its too busy or low tide I pick a spot near deep water.
Even if I told you that rock at 43.46N - 71.41W at the top of the outgoing tide theres no garantee that the fish will be there. The bait also has to be presented properly. Sometimes the fish just have lockjaw.
If you just chuck out a clam bellie or a sand worm and wait it will eventually get you a fish. Keep working the area till you catch a fish. if you happen to catch a few there you wont be telling any body about the spot unless you want it over run.
Eel Grass

Attachments

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Floats
Finding the right picture isnt always easy. The picture was designed to illustrate what eel grass looks like.
Forgive the following indulgence.
I figured I'd share the research findings because its interesting.
Heres a better illustration of a fluke hanging in the eel grass from Cornelll U.
http://stripers247.com/fluke_in_eelgrass.wmv
Common Underwater Bay Grasses
Eelgrass (Zostera marina L.) is a submerged aquatic plant that is critically important to the ecology of shallow coastal waters on both the Pacific and Atlantic coasts of the United States and parts of Europe. The depth at which eelgrass can grow depends on light availability and water clarity, but on average on Long Island, eelgrass is found at depths ranging from 3-15 feet. Eelgrass meadows support increased productivity and higher species diversity than unvegetated bottom. More similar to terrestrial plants than algae, eelgrass is a rooted, flowering plant that reproduces by spreading rhizomes and the germination of seeds. Typically, eelgrass forms dense meadows providing shelter and/or spawning habitat for numerous finfish and shellfish species including fluke, flounder, bluefish, tautog (blackfish), bay scallops, and hard clams. Within the meadows, dead and decaying leaves are a valuable source of organic matter for microorganisms, which form the base of the detrital food web. The leaves of eelgrass help dampen wave energy while the roots and rhizomes stabilize the sediment. Seagrass, more specifically eelgrass, forms an underwater meadow which fish, crustaceans, bivalves, and other species utilize for protection and food. Seagrass also helps buffer shorelines from erosion and increases water clarity by stabilizing marine sediments, capturing suspended material and absorbing nutrients that could otherwise cause algal blooms. Clean water and healthy seagrass go hand in hand.

Here is a very informative link from Buzzards Bay Mass. National Estuary program. Towards the bottom are links to interactive maps where they have been putting in plots. of eelgrass.

http://www.buzzardsbay.org/eelgrass.htm

Attachments

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
Sad how people dont want to learn what makes a good spot, once you know WHERE to look and WHAT to look for ,finding fish, even on a strange section of water is not difficult... Reports ,often times are inaccurate, both because the numbers are inflated to sell tackle or give someone a moment of fame, but. more likely the better fisherman will not let "the cat out of the bag" until it is over, even then, the details will be sketchy at least....

I stopped making reports because of complaints that they were not specific enough,IMHO, Tide, moon phase, wind direction ,day/night the method/bait used, along with the general area is more info than is needed to produce fish... I will NEVER give up an exact spot... not even on my death bed!

Bass dig rocks! rock piles like this are a bass magnet, time spent here is time well spent....

·
will work for stripers
2,530 Posts
nice pile of rocks joe...looks very familliar, i think ive been there...PITA to fish from shore, those rocs are slick.

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
yes it is... productive too..... you might have been there, but they are 7 miles to the north of the inlet....

Not bad to fish from the shore if you have Korkers....

·
will work for stripers
2,530 Posts
i picked up some waders near the end of the season and was able to make only one trip along that bank...the wind beat me down, i ended up moving to a more quiet spot wich at least killed the skunk with some shorts. the rest of the fall for me was really rough...a lot of time put in for very little results. i cant wait to try next season. i really believe im gonna get a cow in 07'

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
4290 said:
A lot of time put in for very little results
Last fall wasnt the best for me either.

·
LunkHead
1,081 Posts
I hate to jinx us all, but the amount of bait present in the water right now is WAY better than last year, and if the weather holds I'm looking for good things to happen.....last year's hurricane/Nor'easter season seriously messed up the water right after the fall run had just started to happen, and never really got going again, down here, tho you could catch all the shorts you wanted well into January. I have been annoying the shorts recently, and last night followed them while they annoyed peanuts.....the dinner table is set, all we need are the diners.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
la nina is in full swing. that means alot of hurricanes on the way (theoretically) if we get one that sweeps the coast i think it will be the same. but i think we get a break imo. i just hope i can get out. i netted a half dozen bunker and about 2doz nuts and then i get the feista resistounce! a 23 in weakfish that was cruising the beach. i spotted him and with pinpoint accuracy netted him and the funny thing i thought it was a kingfish till i saw the yellow fins in my net., woulda cooked him up tonight but had plans to watch the fight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts