Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Conowingo Striper
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to striper fishing. I purchased a Tica surge 10.6 rod, Penn Battle 5000, 20 lb pro power braid about a month ago. I am trying to cast with 3 or 4 oz weights approx. 100 yds if not more to reach the Dam gates that are open. I am not sure if I am holding and try to snap the rod to catapult the weight/lure to the spot. Sometimes I hook right or cast short. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds to me like it's your release. Make sure your casting directly over your shoulder and not a side arm type motion. I don't allow more than 30 inches of drop between the spoon and the rod tip. Hope this helps

·
Conowingo Striper
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will give this a try. The one thing I have wondered about is the release of the line with my finger. Sometimes I think it is released to early other to late. I was wondering would the release be at 11 o clock? I will follow your suggestions which is appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
7 Posts
11 o'clock is about right. One thing I forgot to mention, make sure you have plenty of line on reel. As weird as it sounds, so it looks like it's almost over filled. If you are getting finger sliced, it's from an underspooled reel. If you casting off a pier type structure, like we do on the Ohio river, make certain you give enough back clearance so you dont accidently snag the pier and snap the line...or worse yet...the rod.

·
Conowingo Striper
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the reel is full and I do have my two fingers tape to avoid cuts from the braided line. I have attached a pic which shows wading at the dam. I am trying to case mid way towards the dam and coming up short. The lower bottom right side of the pic is where I cast from. As you can see it quit a distance to case half way down the dam from left to right.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Water Sky Cloud Liquid Fluid
Hope this pic shows. This is what the dam looks like I fish. Hmm...I like yours better

1 - 7 of 7 Posts