Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out yesterday into the evening out of Rye Harbor. It was an expensive night. I lost some serious tackle last night.

What I learned.
1. Trust your instinct call ahead to find a tackle shop in the area that sells eels.

2. NEVER, NEVER troll downriggers or spreader rigs in the mouth of the Piscataqua river. I Lost a $27.00 spreader rig, a 10lb downrigger ball, and 75ft of downrigger cable. What the F#ck is the deal with the lobster bouys UNDERWATER during an outgoing tide? All of my gear was lost on two such bouys in the shipping lane. I just had to vent.

3. When you see charlie the tuna and decide to give him something he likes to eat, make sure your knots, line, and terminal tackle can handle the abuse. I lost a sand eel rig and some line when I saw charlie and his buds. I got one to hit and ZIP-BANG! It was over as quick as it started.

4. Re-tie your plugs after landing a bluefish-NO EXCEPTIONS. I got lazy and let one go on the 2nd fish... pop goes the Bomber.

5. Get to know where pogies are. I found nothing but bluefish and dogs.
I simply cannot get a decent late summer/fall pattern for bass.

That's what I learned yesterday.... I will go learn some more Friday. read2.gif

1,559 Posts
Bubba......................... what the ..........................
I too have learned those very same lessons! Couple times they were more expensive, I'll have to post the story of the 18 foot Starcraft center console I trashed on a trip. Maybe this winter when I have a little more time.

· King of Eels
4,227 Posts
Ouch.. hard lessons... Tuna will test your tackle to the max... always be prepared...Leave the down riggers home., use wire or lead...planer boards and outriggers are good to have..I use them often.

About re tieing.. see the leader thread in the Surf casters forum....

· Registered
108 Posts
Ouch, but hey it was a beautiful night and you were on the water. Also, sometimes the Fish gods test you for a while before a big reward.

I like the idea of an "expensive lessons" thread this winter maybe someone could put it up there with "dumb and dumber". I have more than my share.

btw I have had to learn #4 at least half a dozen times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.