Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spoken to a few regulars and it seems that everyone has different opinions, but what do you guys think the best time of day/tide is best for bluefish fishing? Outgoing? Incoming?

·
4,419 Posts
the best time of day/tide is best for bluefish fishing? Outgoing? Incoming?
Bluefish can show up on any tide. They will be chasing bait. I've found that they dont mind the daylight one bit. Look for diving birds during the day.
Night time high - low slack doesnt matter.
I've seen them so thick they were being netted of a back dock while they were chasing bait.
They've also been known to have taken hunks out of people while on a feeding frenzy.
False dawn is the light you see before sunrise.

·
4,419 Posts
Just as a general rule and perhaps a starting point. Look for the high tide and fish the two hours coming in and the two going out.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
if you enjoy bluefish? if you see a storm front coming in just off the horizon then run to the beach. usually just a krockodile or a kastmaster is all you will need at that point.(change out the trebble for a single hook and for more than one reason crush the barb). they will come in and feed just before the rain and while it's raining and tide is not a factor here... (avoid lightning of course but seven out of ten times this is the norm), if you have a spot where they frequent regularly. utilize a [wire leader] crimped onto the spoon as to not lose it altogether. just as it's getting dark during clear or cloudy weather and, if the tide is in your favor during that time it's a plus. daytime fishing is all about bait but, in early spring the lunkers will show with the bass and cruise the beaches. bait is always the best way to go in the first two weeks of april as the water may be cold and (theoretically too cold for bluefish) but, i have been menaced by them in like 50 degree water. i am now going to suggest extreme caution as a good friend of mine once quoted "EVERYTHING seen bad while fishing usually ALWAYS involves a bluefish" nasty fish with great eyesite even out of the water... [long pliers]... learning to handle them is important to avoid injury. i used to just slit thier throat and toss em back but that was a long time ago. just like any other fish, you need to treat it with dignity and respect. unlike bass that can be handled in the water and released with little harm.... choppers are violent and very pissed when you get them to hand. after landing them on the beach you should try and remove the hook(s) and get em back in the water quickly. don't be a hero and pick it up with your hands unless you can grip it with authority and properly.... (it's not good to grab it by it's gills (as this is the preferred way by many), investing in a fish gripper ie: [boga grip] or the lesser expensive alternatives to such is a great investment as you need not handle them with fear of a bite or a hook(s) in your hand or leg or someone else's skin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.