Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm new here and will be fishing from shore around Newburgh. My question, what is the best tide for shore fishing? I'll be using a med heavy 8.5' rod, Penn 4000 with 40# Braid with a mono 50# leader. 3-4 oz pyramid weight and using blood worms. Advise?? I also have some hopkins lures.......

Your help would be appreciated!!

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
When I was a shore fisherman I seemed to do much better on incoming. I'm sure it's situational. Put your time in and log your catches (date, time, tide, moon phase, water temp etc)
As the saying goes "every fisherman has his tide"
Good luck!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Guys, I'm new here and will be fishing from shore around Newburgh. My question, what is the best tide for shore fishing? I'll be using a med heavy 8.5' rod, Penn 4000 with 40# Braid with a mono 50# leader. 3-4 oz pyramid weight and using blood worms. Advise?? I also have some hopkins lures.......

Your help would be appreciated!!
You got a good set -up so far.
The incoming tide is always fun, It literally brings bait to us shore fisherman for a few reasons, lets not get into that. Get your self a tide chart, you"ll want to be ready to go at least one hour before the tide starts COMMING IN, not AT high tide itself, this way you"ll have the whole incomming tide to fish. (don't worry about casting far out)
I would suggest going to the river at low tide to look and SEE what you are going to be fishing . Are there rocks, pools , etc.(watch the water current)
Stay away from lures early in spring, fish are very sluggish and not apt to move to fast for a lure,and unless you really know the river you are liable to lose lures. (use cheap ones first)
Hopkins is not a good choice for spring lures as it moves too fast, you"re better off using smaller sinking sluggos and fishing them S L O W on the bottom,try white.
Stay with bait early on till you get to know the river, if you feel like doing some day casting try the sluggos on the bottom -real slow-, at night try a 6-7 in. Black Bomber or Black and purple, fish that slow also on the incoming tide.
Hope that helps a little.

·
Lunker
385 Posts
Welcome aboard..Get out there and fish I am a shore Fisher myself have caught them incoming outgoing slack. That's y I say get out there and fish because what works for me may not work for you and vice versa. Do a quick search of the page lots of good info.

·
absolute trophy hunter
198 Posts
Don't worry about which tide. At least 80% I get are last and first couple hours of tide. If I'm low on bait I strategies on putting my best foot forward for those mentioned prime times. In other words I wouldn't fish 3 rods mid tide but come prime time I'll fish harder. Either tide is just fine but I do seem to like bottom outgoing in a lot of my spots. Most shore spots are close to channels. Count the drop till you hit bottom, you'll find you can often work a range of depths with a few rids. I often find one depth or another working better. Most people believe you need a surf rod to get out as far as you can but I have a couple spots I do best on very short cast. Mix it up till they tell you what they want. If you get real good action on a particular tide you'll often be able to repeat success the next few times that tide comes...good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, great advise! Thanks!! I got the tidal info and will be starting with when the tide is outgoing. I've got my plan of attack! anyone know if Vinny's in Wappinger Falls has herring??

·
Registered
31 Posts
yeah vinny has herring. I was there today, and I bought 5 three packs of frozen whole herring from him for 5 bucks a pop. and I am planning on hitting the incoming from from bottom to top. the (frozen) herring he sells are in nice vacuum-sealed bags and they are good sized. since I only have small-ish poles/rigs, I figger a 3 pack will get me through the entire incoming tide since im not heaving out giant slabs of meat.

·
OLDBLUE
16 Posts
I'm a shore fisherman and for the most part do really good each year .My advice to you is try to get live herrin when possible I use chunk bait only when I can't get live.For myself I catch 10 on live to every 1 on chunk.Could be just where I fish?Anyways I do best 3 hours before high tide and 3 hours of out going.Good luck to you and fish hard season goes fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts