Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, I'm still learning. Was out last weekend at high tide for a while, got a 13" striper, but was skunked otherwise. I'm using bloods and frozen herring. Cant get any live. Any techniques I should consider? What about lures, tube worms, etc? Thoughts appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
You really need to get your hands on fresh herring ... then use them live or chunk them. Fresh is way better than frozen. Should be able to jig them soon if not now.

Otherwise learn to scap them, herring have been all over beating the shores the past few days.
If there are other shore fishermen around, ask ... or watch them if they are using a stoolie/net method.

BB

·
Registered
337 Posts
guys, I'm still learning. Was out last weekend at high tide for a while, got a 13" striper, but was skunked otherwise. I'm using bloods and frozen herring. Cant get any live. Any techniques I should consider? What about lures, tube worms, etc? Thoughts appreciated.
Herring are being finicky for the shore fisherman, get your self under a bridge at high tide and along breaker walls, Hopewell jct. is in Newburgh if I'm correct, Wappinger creek is near there, should be a ton of fish there at high tide. A 1oz.sinker will help you get your Sabiki out there to the bridge embutments. I have FOUR rods with me for shore fishing . two for bait, one for casting lures and one small telescoping rod for catching Herring loaded with 8lb. test. I buy Sabikis 10 at a time and expect to lose some.
Lures : 6 in. X-Rap slashbait, blue /silver or mackeral, Bomber Long Shot 7in. in Black, for night fishing and blue /silver or blue mackeral 1 3/4oz., for day. Diawa SP Minnow 6in. 1 1/8 oz. white all day any time. Other Bomber colors are - Chicken Scratch all day and Chartruse for Murky water.
I move around a bit also, my friend stays put in one area, he is doing better than me this year!! You need to find an area where bait is eventually going to congregate for whatever reason at some time this will help, along with fishing the tides. An incoming at night is Killer for shore fishing especially when its a bit calm, Ya really got to put in the hours and learn your area of river, I fish approx. 4-5mi. of river ALL DAY and NIGHT, this weekend I expect to fish 30hrs or more in 3 days . And read read read all the info you can on this site, these guys are GOOD I'm Always learning.
P.M. me if you"d like anytime!!:icon_thumright:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, I'm actually fishing the Chelsea area on the east side of the Hudson must north of the Beacon bridge. its a bit tough for me as I live over an hour away from the river, way in the middle of Connecticut. But I still try. thanks for the help!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts