Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
369 Posts
Well no wonder why, pugs are heavy man, you shouldn't be using those things as bait. LOL, just bustin cajones mang. I've been using the 40 lb. Vanish for my leaders this year and havent had a problem yet....maybe by the luck of the draw I got the one good strand off the shelf????

StriperHyper ~ Will
Same with me, i'm using the 50lb vanish for leaders and i have yet to run into any trouble, knots have all held up and i have been out alot...While its not my favorite leader brand it does the job.

18,706 Posts
Buy regular mono leader material from ande line. It's about 7 bucks a wheel.
Dont take the chance with inferior stuff. The vanish is cheap and brittle.

· Banned
758 Posts
Buy regular mono leader material from ande line. It's about 7 bucks a wheel.
Dont take the chance with inferior stuff. The vanish is cheap and brittle.
Yep used the tournament green 50# for leader for quite some time then switched to Seaguar....

18,706 Posts
Seagaur is like 22 bucks for 50 yards.
The mono ande leader wheel is $7. at 100 yards.
Great for the salt IMO.
Works just as well when a fish tries to rub you on a boulder.

· King of Eels
4,227 Posts
Bring it straight out to the garbage can now
Do not stop, do not hesitate.

The worst God awful stuff to ever hit a Walmart shelf. Too stiff, too brittle, too much memory.............. If it has even one redeeming quality I'll be damned if I know what it is.

When the stuff first came out I spooled two reels with it to take with me on a family Florida vacation. I only had two afternoons to fish and needed to make the most of them.
I was fishing live shrimp off a pier behind Manasota key. Had 3 or 4 fish on, everyone broke off - not at the knot. Had quite a few hits, most of which snapped the line as though it was made of spun glass.
The garbage completely ruined the trip for me.

If you search the web you'll find that my story is far from unique
take this as gospel it is all you need to know.. I used it once.... once.. I hope when they recycled it it came back as something else...same goes for Iron silk.. god awful stuff...

· Banned
758 Posts
Since were talking about junk line I would like to add/warn that Toughline is garbage. That stuff is probably the reason you here guys that don't fish much asking why you use rope instead of fishing line.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.