Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just got some of this (the 50#). This stuff is realllly stiff, has a memory like an elephant and is just giving me trouble. I've tried tying 4 different knots with it and it seems like it's impossible to get a good tight knot with it. I can snell a hook with it no problem, but tying up to the swivels with it is a real issue. It's so stiff that my knots look pretty loose.

Can anyone give me a good knot to use that will be easier to tie with this stuff? I've tried the palomar, uni-knot, trilene, and improved clinch knot. Got the line wet of course, etc. I don't have any line conditioner. Is there one that will be easier to tie with this material? I don't want to throw it away..just yet.

·
NukinFuts
272 Posts
I just finished tying up some leader with this stuff. Yes, it's a bit** to work with, but I manage.
I use the improved clinch, minus the last pass through, only through the bottom loop by the swivel, is where I pass the tag end through. Grab the tag end at that point & pull it slightly tight, then take the longer end and pull (yes, lube the line). I have a small "pick" tool that I used to hang the swivel on, as it allows better leverage. This pretty much cinches up the knot for me.

·
3,471 Posts
Bring it straight out to the garbage can now
Do not stop, do not hesitate.

The worst God awful stuff to ever hit a Walmart shelf. Too stiff, too brittle, too much memory.............. If it has even one redeeming quality I'll be damned if I know what it is.

When the stuff first came out I spooled two reels with it to take with me on a family Florida vacation. I only had two afternoons to fish and needed to make the most of them.
I was fishing live shrimp off a pier behind Manasota key. Had 3 or 4 fish on, everyone broke off - not at the knot. Had quite a few hits, most of which snapped the line as though it was made of spun glass.
The garbage completely ruined the trip for me.

If you search the web you'll find that my story is far from unique

·
Registered
225 Posts
i will admit i had a bad experiance with vanish myself, i spooled up some 8lb for fresh water....it was instant birds nest every other cast... stuff is garbage. now that being said i use fluro for my leader material.....just go with a different brand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I put Vanish through some search engines and all I'm reading is bad stuff. Doesn't look so good. I wonder why they still make it when it gets all those bad reviews all over.

·
Gulp! smells funny
114 Posts
Stiff line is always a tough one for knots. I've never had any issues with a well lubricated uni-knot, but you've already indicated its not working for you. I would try a uni-knot with 4 turns, and make sure you have well moistend the line with saliva first (for some reason spit lubes knots WAY better than plain ol' water)

As for Vanish, EVERYONE loves to knock it, but I've been using the stuff as leader material regularly since it first came out, and with the exception of one of the first spools I bought, I have no problems with it at all. I use 4lb and 6lb for trout and salmon and 8-17lb for light tackle stripers and have not had issues. Now Ande flourocarbon on the other hand, that stuff is terrible. Seaguar is the best...but it is $$$.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone. I just got some of this (the 50#). This stuff is realllly stiff, has a memory like an elephant and is just giving me trouble. I've tried tying 4 different knots with it and it seems like it's impossible to get a good tight knot with it. I can snell a hook with it no problem, but tying up to the swivels with it is a real issue. It's so stiff that my knots look pretty loose.

Can anyone give me a good knot to use that will be easier to tie with this stuff? I've tried the palomar, uni-knot, trilene, and improved clinch knot. Got the line wet of course, etc. I don't have any line conditioner. Is there one that will be easier to tie with this material? I don't want to throw it away..just yet.
Throw that stuff in the trash its junk!!:iagree:

·
epanzella
1 Posts
Bring it straight out to the garbage can now
Do not stop, do not hesitate.

The worst God awful stuff to ever hit a Walmart shelf. Too stiff, too brittle, too much memory.............. If it has even one redeeming quality I'll be damned if I know what it is.

When the stuff first came out I spooled two reels with it to take with me on a family Florida vacation. I only had two afternoons to fish and needed to make the most of them.
I was fishing live shrimp off a pier behind Manasota key. Had 3 or 4 fish on, everyone broke off - not at the knot. Had quite a few hits, most of which snapped the line as though it was made of spun glass.
The garbage completely ruined the trip for me.

If you search the web you'll find that my story is far from unique
Well, at least it's expensive!

·
Striper Hunter
104 Posts
I was using that crap as a liter 20lb on the light tackle 50lb on the heavy. I lost more pugs casting then ever before on the 50lb it would break right above the my improoved clinch.I'm going to get new liter material and burn the vanish.

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts
I I lost more pugs casting then ever before on the 50lb it would break right above the my improoved clinch
Well no wonder why, pugs are heavy man, you shouldn't be using those things as bait. LOL, just bustin cajones mang. I've been using the 40 lb. Vanish for my leaders this year and havent had a problem yet....maybe by the luck of the draw I got the one good strand off the shelf????

StriperHyper ~ Will

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.