Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, this is my first post on this site. I would like to say hello. I am new to fishing the aqueduct, and I have caught a few stripers (very few:redbiggrin:), but I would like to hopefully start catching more. So I wanted to start this thread for people that fish the Aqueduct in the Bakersfield and surrounding areas to share tips, reports, and other info so maybe we can all start cathing a few more. I'll start with the last day I was out at the duct on Friday (1/2/08) at the gates across from the golf course near Taft the water was not moving I didn't get a bite however a few people around me caught some on anchovies. I was using chicken liver but no bites, and I also had a lipless crank bait (American shad pattern) that has worked in the past but no takers that day. Anyone have any advise? I'm getting kind of burned out at this spot at the duct and I wanted to know if here was anywhere else in or around Bakersfield I could try? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bill and Dan,

I really apreciate the advise, I hope to get out tomorrow morning and try my luck. Also wanted to say I like the web site Bill lots of good info. A friend told me to try and fish the bends that fish will hold there so I might try to fish one of the bends tomorrow or one of those other gates Dan mentioned. Will let you guys know how I did if my wife will let me out :bluegrin:. Happy new year to both of you, and thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys well I never made it out over the weekend :10186:. So no report. I did want to say though that I drive over the duct every day on my way to work I cross it when it goes under the 119 (Taft HWY) near Tupman, and I always check the water as I drive over and it has not been moving at all the last few weeks. Is there any way to predict when the gates might be open?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi All,

Well I have a report. I was out at the duct on Thursday night and fished about an hour no bites. Then a young man from the other side of the duct told me that he was catching them on the other side of this bridge in the top foot or so of the water. So I moved over and threw out a rat-l-trap and I tried to keep it up in the top foot or so and with my second cast wham I got hit! I ended up landing four all good size and missed at least four more. Sorry no pictures I did not have a camera with me and I released them all, but I had one heck of a good time! Went back out to the same spot again today and did the same thing but had only one strike and I missed him. Anyway wanted to say thanks for all the tips and advice. Tight lines! :gob_icon_cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts