Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, this is my first post on this site. I would like to say hello. I am new to fishing the aqueduct, and I have caught a few stripers (very few:redbiggrin:), but I would like to hopefully start catching more. So I wanted to start this thread for people that fish the Aqueduct in the Bakersfield and surrounding areas to share tips, reports, and other info so maybe we can all start cathing a few more. I'll start with the last day I was out at the duct on Friday (1/2/08) at the gates across from the golf course near Taft the water was not moving I didn't get a bite however a few people around me caught some on anchovies. I was using chicken liver but no bites, and I also had a lipless crank bait (American shad pattern) that has worked in the past but no takers that day. Anyone have any advise? I'm getting kind of burned out at this spot at the duct and I wanted to know if here was anywhere else in or around Bakersfield I could try? Thanks.

·
Striper Fever
168 Posts
Hello csubmatt,
Welcome aboard!
There are a lot of people that fish the aqueduct out in Bakersfield.
I have a website that might help you check it out. Just click on the blue underline aqueductfishing below my name.
Dodoman and a few others here that also fish the aqueduct. It has changed a lot due to water not running as much as it was and now they are cutting back on the water flow 10% more this year. Why? cause of the small smelt fish that are protected, also lack of water. I fish the aqueduct here in Palmdale. I have used the Shad L-Rattle Traps 3/4 oz and the Shad Storm baits at wal-mart. Late at night has been doing good here after 10:55 pm so far, that will change too. The fish are getting use to water not flowing as much and the cold weather. Good luck out there and Happy New Year to you and yours.

·
First Mate
436 Posts
I drove through Bakersfield a few months ago, on a cross country trip. Stayed the night too. While I regret not trying the 24 hour mexican food shack by the motel, I can't believe I missed some striper fishing too.

To my ingnorant eyes it looked to be all beach and no Ocean out there. Now I know better.

Good luck guys.

·
Official Member
33 Posts
There are a bunch of places to fish the duct around Bakersfield, and if you ask me, one of the worst places is across from the golf course. Yes, I said it. I realize a lot of big fish have been caught there, but an awful lot of fishing pressure too. A friend of mine has caught 4 stripers over 40 lbs from that area, but that was years ago.
Try the gates at Tupman and the gates off of Freborn road. Both sets are really close to the golf course. Lots of siphons from the golf course to the grapevine. Sometimes big fish are at the siphons. Try grates where the water is pulled from the aqueduct. Those grates house Tule Perch which come out to play at night and the big fish kinow it.
Most of all put in a lot of time and throw big lures, bucktail jigs and leave the bait at home. It will catch you lots of small fish, but not many big ones.
I would venture to say, I have fished the California aqueduct as much if not more than almost anyone in the last 10 years. There are big fish to be had, but it takes a lot of time and effort.
Good luck. BTW, my best year fishing the aqueduct yielded 55 fish over 10 lbs, lots of those over 20 lbs, so the fish are there.

·
Striper Fever
168 Posts
There are a bunch of places to fish the duct around Bakersfield, and if you ask me, one of the worst places is across from the golf course. Yes, I said it. I realize a lot of big fish have been caught there, but an awful lot of fishing pressure too. A friend of mine has caught 4 stripers over 40 lbs from that area, but that was years ago.
Try the gates at Tupman and the gates off of Freborn road. Both sets are really close to the golf course. Lots of siphons from the golf course to the grapevine. Sometimes big fish are at the siphons. Try grates where the water is pulled from the aqueduct. Those grates house Tule Perch which come out to play at night and the big fish kinow it.
Most of all put in a lot of time and throw big lures, bucktail jigs and leave the bait at home. It will catch you lots of small fish, but not many big ones.
I would venture to say, I have fished the California aqueduct as much if not more than almost anyone in the last 10 years. There are big fish to be had, but it takes a lot of time and effort.
Good luck. BTW, my best year fishing the aqueduct yielded 55 fish over 10 lbs, lots of those over 20 lbs, so the fish are there.
Hello Dan,
I do know that the big ones are there just got to know where they are, I am not familar with Bakersfield but know a lot of people that do fish it. I fish here in Palmdale and I have landed 2 fish over 50 lbs in one day over my 30 years. I have landed all different sizes. My biggest was 30.25 lbs. I am still waiting to get the 50 lber and I know that it is in there. I have fished all over and the lakes too, but I do love the aqueduct the most. If you don't mind I need information for my webisite for fishing locations for people who ask me. Will you help me with it. Sounds like you know the areas. Happy New Year and may you land the bigger one this year, wish we all get our size and goal of fish!:smiliegrd:
Stiper Bill

·
Official Member
33 Posts
My goal was to always catch a 50 lber also Bill. Still my goal, but I don't fish as often as I used to. I bought a viciously fast motorcycle and love to ride that too, so my time is split, not to mention I am contemplating turbocharging the bike to eventually get close to 500HP.
I do love to fish the duct though. I can help with the locations if people are interested. You know as much as I do though, that to catch the big fish takes lots of time and effort and a little luck also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bill and Dan,

I really apreciate the advise, I hope to get out tomorrow morning and try my luck. Also wanted to say I like the web site Bill lots of good info. A friend told me to try and fish the bends that fish will hold there so I might try to fish one of the bends tomorrow or one of those other gates Dan mentioned. Will let you guys know how I did if my wife will let me out :bluegrin:. Happy new year to both of you, and thanks again.

·
Official Member
33 Posts
I went out to those two gates a couple of nights ago, and got blanked. Not even a hit. I find January to be the toughest fishing month of the year in the duct though. I plan on spending a full 24 hours of fishing this weekend though, hitting up a bunch of spots.

StriperBill:
Does the state allow fishing where the water enters the aqueduct from the pipeline that comes from over the mountain (from Kern County, the last pumping plant (Edmonston, I believe or Wheeler Ridge, I get them confused). I've seen pictures of that area and it looks like a torrent of water coming out. I wonder if the stripers go up there to feed. I believe that would be in your area, right?

·
Registered
58 Posts
dan s. i agree the aqueduct across from golf coase road is terible!!!
you from the bakersfield area??i have herd tales of monster fish from the taft area but have gone many times not even a hit!
try the new rage tail series from strike king the (rage shad) black and white color its an exelent top water bait stripers can resist the noise and action of this new bait!!
give it a try. if you are from the bakersfield area let mee know i will give you the location of another spot to try
good luck tight lines:walamatBanana:wtf is this thing a buger lama???:lff3:

·
Official Member
33 Posts
J. Owen
I'll check those lures out. I don't use much topwater in the duct. It really isn't that often you get into a topwater bite. How have you been doing on big fish in the duct? In 2008, I didn't fish that often and my biggest was only 25 lbs or so. There isn't many spots in the duct that aren't known, but if you know a spot where you think there might be a 50 lber and want to divulge that information, fire away. hehe
I will probably concentrate my efforts this weekend up North, closer to San Luis Resevoir. I know a few spots up there, where there are some real slobs, just getting them to bite is the question.

·
Registered
58 Posts
you fished old river road at 166?
very good spot, not to much size but much quanity!!!
ive caught 10 fish in hour or soo on good days 5 pounds each if im acurated in my memory dont fish it much though i live central coast ca
so im about 2 hours from any part if the aqueduct.
but i try to get out there once a month to get away and relax
not so much durrin the sumer but to hot!:hot: still trying to get my 50+ pounder!!!!
any tips or hot spots arund the bakersfield area???:gob_icon_cheers:

·
Official Member
33 Posts
Yeah, I have fished Old River quite often. There are two siphons within a half a mile of each other there. One that goes under Old River road and the other one is down river a half mile or so. I've caught a few big fish there, but nothing really big. I think the biggest was 15 lbs or so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys well I never made it out over the weekend :10186:. So no report. I did want to say though that I drive over the duct every day on my way to work I cross it when it goes under the 119 (Taft HWY) near Tupman, and I always check the water as I drive over and it has not been moving at all the last few weeks. Is there any way to predict when the gates might be open?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im new to the site and would like to say hello out there,Iv been fishing for largemouth bass for years now and have been doing more and more striper fishing than ever the last couple years.Iv been wanting togo to the duct and was wondering if you stay in one spot and fish or walk for miles along side and does drop shot or texas rigging any kind of plastic work any help would be great.sorry guys i dont even know where to start to give i report

·
Official Member
33 Posts
There are no set rules when it comes to fishing, and striper fishing is no different. If you want to trying dropshotting worms, give it a whirl. Some guys like me gate and siphon hop, but with the cost of fuel it gets more difficult all the time. I've also seen guys walk the duct, throwing rattletraps as they go or whatever else suits your fancy. I even tried bicycle trolling for awhile to try and cover lots of area. I used a side planer to try and keep the lure away from the bank and used human power to troll with. Wasn't too succesful at that, mainly cause of grawl on the roads, lots of obstacles along the way, and if you were going upstream compared to downstream, well you get the idea. Early in the morning sometimes you can get a striper or two to hit topwater also. Zara spooks or poppers. Don't forget gitzits, bucktails and big crankbaits worked extremely slowly. You can get native bait in the aqueduct, sculpins are legal and there is not so legal bait either. I won't go into that.
I went fishing yesterday at 3:30 and fished all night long execpt for an hour catnap. I hit several gates and siphons all the way from the golf course by taft almost to San Luis resevoir. Fishing was tough. I probably caught 6 fish or so, the two biggest around 6 lbs each, will be poached and eaten. I did hook into what felt like a very good fish, the type that feels like a log and just starts moving, but only had it on for less than 10 seconds and came uncoupled, so in reality I can't even guess its size. Hell, maybe i was a log.
Now for another catnap and I am going to go out another 4-5 hours or so tonight and see if I can get a biggun.

·
SWIMBAITER
437 Posts
look at it this way.
the stripers are on the move.
right place at the right time, which means, YOU have to spend alot of time working the area, until a school cruises by or a fatty.
i,ll be up there in a few weeks, near palm dale.

see yall there.

·
Striper Fever
168 Posts
I went out to those two gates a couple of nights ago, and got blanked. Not even a hit. I find January to be the toughest fishing month of the year in the duct though. I plan on spending a full 24 hours of fishing this weekend though, hitting up a bunch of spots.

StriperBill:
Does the state allow fishing where the water enters the aqueduct from the pipeline that comes from over the mountain (from Kern County, the last pumping plant (Edmonston, I believe or Wheeler Ridge, I get them confused). I've seen pictures of that area and it looks like a torrent of water coming out. I wonder if the stripers go up there to feed. I believe that would be in your area, right?
Dan, it is only legal to fish areas that state walk in fishing only on the fence. Other areas are illegal.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts