Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Official Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When fishing from shore, I have been instructed to use a fish-finder and a sinker to place my fish chunk, worm, or clam out into the incoming or outgoing current. I guess the theory is that the sinker will sink straight down and the bait product will float above it, seductively undulating in the current. IS this what happens or does it just sit on the bottom getting pecked at by critters? Is there some thing that I should be doing to fish bait from shore?

·
3,471 Posts
As each wave washes over it the bait will lift up from the bottom
The bass follow the wave looking for things that have been stirred up - like yer bait

·
4,419 Posts
The finder also allows the fish to pick up your bait without the feel of attached weight and therefore less likely to drop it.
Sometimes in a fast current a three way swivel can be used instead of the fishfinder with the weight in front and a chunk sliced up like juliened (sp) to present as fluttering.
I used to use this method on the dropping tide when the current starts to really move.

·
3,471 Posts
The finder also allows the fish to pick up your bait without the feel of attached weight and therefore less likely to drop it.
Which is why you always hold the rod when using a fish finder rig - If it's spiked the fish will feel the weight of the sinker and the tension of the line. Iffin yer holding it you can feel the fish sniffin around and give line when it takes - keeps it from feeling the weight and dropping the bait.

3 ways or high/low with a large weight (8oz and a circle hook) work well on spiked rods

·
First Mate
864 Posts
I was taught to keep the line to the bait tight. Is this wrong? Should it be slack?
When I fish, fish finder rigs. I cast out bring in the slack and then keep pressure on the line with my thumb. When a fish picks up the bait I let it run applying just enough tension to keep the spool from back lashing.

·
First Mate
654 Posts
Is a fish finder setup the same as a sinker on a slider?
Basically yep. That's why many call the slides fish finders. With the fish finder rig you would normally have around 2' (length varies upon preferance) of leader then a swivel, the slide/sinker and bead (if used )would be on your main line.

Remember if you use braided line to use a slide that is braid approved, they are usually yellow, green, blue or red. The slides that are black or white are pretty cheap and braid will chew through them rather quickly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.