Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Striper Hunter
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have been hearing some good things about Sandworms used for bait in the Hudson this year.

I kinda thought that Bloodworms had a more attractive scent/flavor to Stripers, and that's why they are the seaworm of choice during the Spring Run, especially amongst shore fishermen.

Now I'm hearing that the main reason they aren't as popular as Bloods is due to the fact that they are "softer" and come off the hook much easier on a hard cast, making them more difficult to use from shore.

With the "bagging" method I now employ that I first heard of on this site (spawn-sac type netting, elastic thread, etc.), the "softness" or "toughness" of the worm doesn't really matter, I mean it will hold a mushy defrosted piece of Herring together with no problem on a hard cast.

With Sandworms costing about half as much as Bloods, I would be interested to hear from anyone who has given Sandworms a try in the Hudson Spring Run- positive or negative.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Shorebound

· Official Member
51 Posts
I've heard similar but haven't tried myself either - with precious few hours to fish, it's difficult justifying trying a new bait when you KNOW that bloods and herring work so well. So I'm very interested as well in anyone with actual experience - I've heard they are a more "natural" bait for Stripers (whatever that means) and a couple guys anecdotally have told me this year that they had better success with sands then bloods, but these weren't guys I personally knew...

To continue this line of thinking a little further, what about other baits that work beside blood/sand worms, herring, live eels and bunker. I've read that Stripers will eat just about anything, and I'm sure they're not exclusively eating herring when they are up in the Hudson. What about white perch for instance (which are easy to catch and keep alive) or night crawlers? Or clams which have surfaced on this forum a couple times, but never been properly answered (as far as whether they work well as bait). I've heard from numerous sources that clams work GREAT for Stripers on the coast - why not in the Hudson?

· Registered
12 Posts
Yesterday was my first time usnig blood and sand worms. I cought 2 stripers on the blood worms but only catfish and perch on the sand worms. I was fishing from shore between Newburgh and Cornwall. I have used live Herring all season and have been skunked on them so it was time for a change and it worked. I hope this helps. :cheers:

Eric

· Registered
98 Posts
Last year fishing Newburgh area from Marlboro to Cornwall Sands out fished Bloods ten to one. This year only used Sands & still doing very well, Friday had 16 fish to 12lbs. Will be out tomorrow 5am on channel 68 boat name reel daze. see you there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.