Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I am looking for someone to help me learn how to catch stripers. I come in from Bainbridge and have been out from Kingston a few times but would be willing to go somewhere else if needed.
So far I have caught one very small (like 9 ins) and one that was 19 inches on large shiners but nothing consistent. any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Wayne

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sure , I could show you some stuff , I fish the Albany area , Corning Preserve and up to the Federal Dam and for quite a few years . Do pretty well myself every year fishing from shore , mostly plug and jig fishing , sometimes bait . Fin Hat Fish Underwater Marine biology

Fish Underwater Fin Tail Marine biology

·
Registered
219 Posts
by 'out' from kingston i presume you have a boat. but forget kingston. think albany. find a place to stay where you can park your boat. launch early, stay late. learn to catch herring, its easy. anchor up above the port. wait. like this.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If you have a boat don't waste your time going North.....take it to Newburg of from Kingston go down to Norrie point.........those areas will be loaded with fish in the next few weeks. Use bloodworms or sandworms and suspend them 15-20 ft down as you drift.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Take a charter, you will learn quickly. I would recommend Off the Charters in Newburgh. Capt Bob will put you on fish and assist you anyway he can.
Book as soon as you can. IMHO
(845) 238-7508.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Catching the herring and using them to catch the bass is the essence of the run IMHO. You can use worms, troll, cast plugs at the dam. But there is something about catching a 9 inch herring, putting it on a big hook, putting it out there and having a bass swallow it whole.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Catching the herring and using them to catch the bass is the essence of the run IMHO. You can use worms, troll, cast plugs at the dam. But there is something about catching a 9 inch herring, putting it on a big hook, putting it out there and having a bass swallow it whole.
Herring works better north of Kingston.....Bloods and Sands prevail south of Kingston when the gets going. The only exception is early and late in the run when the bigger females are coming up early then back down later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for the advice.
Doc Z where can i get worms and how large are they?
The only ones i have seen were at gander mtn when it was open and they looked like garden worms not what i expected for the price.
Again thanks i appreciate it

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've gotten them from Northern Dutchess Archery in Red Hook. They usually have herring and eels too. They're handy on days when the scapping is lousy.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Thanks guys for the advice.
Doc Z where can i get worms and how large are they?
The only ones i have seen were at gander mtn when it was open and they looked like garden worms not what i expected for the price.
Again thanks i appreciate it
You can order them online at http://www.bloodwormdepot.com/.

You can also get them at:

Keeping it Reel in Poughkeepsie - (845) 214-0021
Tippin Scales in Kingston - 845 232 1240.

Ceelys in New Windsor - 845-534-3495

1 - 13 of 13 Posts