Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there anyone who is familiar with wiper fishing in wisconsin? if so, got any tips that i might want to know. or maybe i can share with u some of mine as well.

·
Wiper Guru
455 Posts
I do occasionally fish Wisconsin, but not for wipers. In fact, I read not too long ago that Columbia Lake (a power plant cooling lake) near the town of Portage WI is the only lake in the state that gets regular stockings from the DNR. Do you know of somewhere else that has wipers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are numerous of lakes that are kept unfrozen throughout the winter seasons, however, only lake columbia is the only one that is stocked with hybrids.
i have been doing a lot of fishing there lately and have been VERY successful from shore. unfortunately, there is only a short window that they are aggressively active, which is sunrise and sunset.
i have had more success fishing sunrise while the hybrids are currently spawning and feeding on bait fish.
if you do decide to ever fish lake columbia, bring a bike and trek around the gravel road past the **** and to where the water is being pumped in from the wisconsin river. don't go too far because you'll be fishing in the refuge (where most of them are at).
if you would like some tips on what to use, just hollar back!!!

·
Wiper Guru
455 Posts
Thanks. I'll do that. The lake I usually fish in Indiana is not a plant discharge lake, but it it large enough that it usually does not freeze over most years. It is not real deep; averages about 18 feet, though is maxes out at about 42' and covers about 10-12,000 acres. Even this far south the best bite is sunup and dundown. If it's overcast you can catch them midday, but usually they stay deep until the early or late hours. I say, thank God. All the pleasure boaters are either still sleeping it off or headed off the water to sleep it off and peace, sweet peace is actually a possibility as the wipers stir.

Is chartreusse the best color up north? Here it is chartreusse or chrome. When I go south, it's usually pearl colors that work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts