Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Official Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out on an old friend's boat yesterday. He is a very nice fellow and told me he'd take me out along with my brother whenever we wanted, no charge. He says he's just tired of going out alone all the time. So we're out in the middle of some blitzing blue's but we can't find the bass. He decided to run a little ways over to some shoals to drift clam bellies. After breaking off on something, I reeled in my pole real quick and then went to help him with something on the boat. He asked me to clean some rope up and spray off the deck as it was all full of blood. Either way, he took it upon himself to rig up my pole for me, so when I came back it was good to go. I dropped out my clam and let 'er bounce along. Soon enough a cow slammed it. As it gets closer to the boat I realize my leader isnt there, and remembered he re-tied my rig for me. It flew right outta my mind, as I have like a mid 30inch fish about 7 feet from the boat. A few more cranks and my brother waiting with the net do I realize he put a barrel swivel that wouldnt' fit through my rod tip. As I was realizing it, the barrel swivel smashed through the tip, resulting in me cursing my head off and then landing the fish. I let 'er go, retired the pole and kept fishin. I'm sendin back the lami tomorow. Oh well, lesson learned, always check what other people put on your pole.

·
(formerly brian21johansen)
975 Posts
Man, I was reading that story and thought it was gonna end with you losing the fish......you should be glad that yo even landed the thing lol.

I guess you did learn a good lesson though.....if you want something done right do it yourself.

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
think about the lesson learned here, you NEVER want a swivel going through a rod tip... nothing good can come from it... the BEST thing that can happen is a lost fish.... the guide is usualy damaged when swivels are reeled through the tip top, then the line will get frayed, eventualy it will cost you a fish... keep the leader short enough to allow enough line to work the fish with in range of a net or lipping....

·
LunkHead
1,081 Posts
From ....Ahem...Personal experience, I had a small swivel damage the guide n my tip-top and it was several lost lures before I figured out that the damaged guide had a very sharp edge. I'd make a few casts and Bink!! would go the line....re-tie, make a few more casts, Bink!! *&^%$#@!(*&^%&%#$$%$$%$%^%$^%^%%%^^^%

At least you got a nice fish out of it, and noticed the problem, before it got anymore expensive.

On another note, most any good tackle shop should be able to replace your top guide, without having to send the rod all the way across the country.

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
From ....

On another note, most any good tackle shop should be able to replace your top guide, without having to send the rod all the way across the country.
I keep one for each rod i use in a tackle box( I laso keep some in stock at home) with a small propane lighter and a stick of glue.... just in case something evil happens, it only takes 30 seconds to change a tip top...

·
3,471 Posts
Like Ed and Roc said - don't send the whole rod back for a busted tip. Any decent shop will replace it for you for under $10, which is far less then the shipping and return fees to Lami will run you.

Everyone should definitely carry spare tips, ferrule cement and a lighter (to melt the cement) in your truck or boat.

·
Official Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip Roc. I'll have to re-adjust my stuff so I do it like that. I always thought a longer leader was better, and with a long leader its a little hard sometimes to handle the fish without reeling a little into the leader. You make perfect sense though,and shoulda thought of that. Thank you!

I'll bring the rod down tomorrow and have someone fix the tip. Never got around to it yet.

·
I had a BLAST!
2,429 Posts
I do this thing we do mostly at night. And have learned from experience, that enough leader is always just enough.
And I always have tips, just in case. thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've seen small styrofoam slip corks (round ones) used on the lines above the swivel to prevent them from going through the guides. I believe there are even commercially available ones that are marketed as guide protectors. Personally, I don't use them. However, it can be easy to reel one up into or through the guides damaging them, or losing a fish. Apologies to Cappo, as his point is to check behind other people's rigging to avoid surprises. Glad you landed the fish. Tight lines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts