Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone think there will be any surprises in the top 3 this year?
(Leinart, Young, Bush)

Who do you think will get taken number 1 overall?

I think it has to be Bush if the Texans hold the number 1 pick but I would trade it away for some future 1st round picks because I dont think Bush is going to be that great in the NFL. As least not as good as Vince Young and the Texans say they dont need a QB, but I think they do.

What do you guys think?

·
4,419 Posts
I think its Reggie Bush. Vince Youngs stock went up after the USC game but QBs take 2 - 3 years to develop in the NFL. Not everyone gets a guy like Rothlinsburg who stepped right in. You cant go wrong with any of them but Qbs are always a bigger gamble. IMO
Bush can help Texas right away and their QB David Carr is as good as Leinert and Young.
Leinert is a lefty. They are comparing him to Kenny Stabler. If the Jets trade up with New Orleans to get him I think NO takes the OT tackle out of Virginia. Brickashaw Ferguson. The two best defensive players are Hawk and Williams out of Ohio State and Tennessee.
It all depends on what needs the team Gms think they need to fill.
New Orleans and Texas needs Defensive help.
The Jets and Tennessee not as much.

·
3,471 Posts
The biggest mistake the Jets could make would be to NOT draft Brickashaw Ferguson. QBs take years to develop but you can always go buy one off free agency - great offensive linemen are a different story altogether and nearly impossible to get in free agency.

That being said, it's a given that the Jets front office is going to blow it.
I'm still in shock that they let Kitna leave town without a contract. His style would have been a perfect fit, he's tough as nails, a good leader and most importantly he was fairly inexpensive. He isn't known for arm strength which is fine, this team was built for Pennington who has a weaker arm then I do - Ramsey's gunslinger, down the field style isn't even close to fitting this team BangHead.gif The Jets O line is in shambles, watch what happens when Ramsey starts hearing footsteps. run.gif

·
4,419 Posts
Suds You will be happy to know that the Jets have signed Bills O-lineman Trey Teague
Jet News

·
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers
4,759 Posts
Tha Jets rip fahts. N watch Herm blow a dead goat out West.

Tha Pats pooped too. Gramatica is choker. OUCH. And I admit it. This sucks.

Too early fa F-Ball! th_sm19.gif Besides, Jim knows his sports and will put a spankin' on ya at one point or another during any season th_sm19.gif th_sm19.gif th_sm19.gif

Cant wait to see how many join tha F-Ball leagues though this season! thumbsup.gif

·
4,419 Posts
I detect just a teeny hint of sarcasm there Jb. sign10.gif

·
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers
4,759 Posts
striperjim said:
I detect just a teeny hint of sarcasm there Jb. sign10.gif
Nope, not this time th_sm19.gif Ya always seem ta wipe me out soonah AH latah in our Yahoo leagues :lol:

·
4,419 Posts
And the Jets are on the clock.

And they dont take a punter out of Indiana with the fourth overall pick. Makeing it dueling first round kickers. headbang.gif headbang.gif
And they do make a solid pick in D'Brickashaw Ferguson. A hometown OLineman who will help anchor the line and protect Ramsey and or Pennington for the next 10 years. Solid pick IMO.

They pass on Leinert. icn___clap.gif
How could Houston pass on Reggie Bush? It will haunt that franchise forever. Maybe thats why they have the first pick. terrible decision. Terrible. Shocker...

·
3,471 Posts
Jets first two picks - Left Tackle and Center icn___clap.gif icn___clap.gif icn___clap.gif

Rebuilding the team from the foundation up and finally doing it right.
I'm thrilled to be wrong about the Jets blowing the draft headbang.gif

·
4,419 Posts
Holy cow.
They should think about drafting Nick Mangolds sister
High school Junior 5 foot 9' 300 pound starter on the mens varsity at Center.
http://www.dispatch.com/football/football.php?story=dispatch/2005/08/17/20050817-F1-01.html

Giants 13 Jets 7
Sorry Suds. I hate to put the horns on your team even before they get out of the gate.
Fairly solid defensive effort for Gangrene but its shaping up like a tough year for Mangini and company.
Pennington is coming off of a major injury. 2 Rooks on the O-Line. No kind of star wideout. Lousy tight ends. Martin may be done. Blalock is a third down back. Barlow isnt better than Blalock, hopefully he can block.
Cotchery might be their best wideout.
3 and 13 looks optimistic as they get 6 with New England, Miami and Buffalo.

They should beat Detroit. Maybe

Date Opponent Time/Result
Sep 10 @Tennessee 1:00pm
Sep 17 New England 4:15pm
Sep 24 @Buffalo 1:00pm
Oct 1 Indianapolis 1:00pm
Oct 8 @Jacksonville 4:05pm
Oct 15 Miami 4:15pm
Oct 22 Detroit 1:00pm
Oct 29 @Cleveland 4:15pm
Week 9 BYE
Nov 12 @New England 1:00pm
Nov 19 Chicago 1:00pm
Nov 26 Houston 1:00pm
Dec 3 @Green Bay 1:00pm
Dec 10 Buffalo 1:00pm
Dec 17 @Minnesota 1:00pm
Dec 25 @Miami 8:30pm
Dec 31 Oakland 1:00pm

·
3,471 Posts
I agree, we have some major deficiencies but given a bit more time to gel the O line should play OK, they have to be better then last years patchwork O.
Blaylock and Houston make a solid if not spectacular thunder and lightning combination and the wide outs are also solid if not spectacular. I'm not a big Pennington supporter anymore (even though his favorite thing to do and talk about outside of football is fishing) I think Chad's main purpose now is to train Clemons for the future.

I'm thinking somewhere around 7 and 9, or 8 and 8 barring injuries - we have no depth so a rash of injuries could be disastrous.

·
4,419 Posts
I was a big Pennington fan a few years years back, in fact I picked him as my fantasy QB the next year (Then he went down again) I thought he had some real flair for moving the offense downfield with Lavernius Coles, (Moss) Lamont Jordan and Crebet. Havent seen the magic even in flashes, for a while.

·
4,419 Posts
Re: NFL DRAFT

New York Jets

Even without a first-round selection in 2005, the Jets made a whopping 11 first-round picks since 2000. Somewhat remarkably, of those 11 taken only one has fallen below expectations and one has exceeded expectations.
In the case of DT Dewayne Robertson and LB Jonathan Vilma, their inabilities to fit into a 3-4 scheme has held them back. Such problems are bound to happen when a new group of decision-makers takes over and installs a far different scheme.

New York Jets Year Player Pick Verdict Bottom Line

2007 Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh14
Revis always seems to be in position to make a play on the ball or receiver. He met expectations as a rookie and the arrow is pointing straight up for this young ball hawk.

2006 D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia4
Playing left tackle in the NFL isn't quite as easy as Ferguson made it look at Virginia. While he remains a very good prospect with rare athletic ability, he needs to toughen up and get stronger.

2006 Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State 29
First-round centers are a rarity. While Mangold has been decent, he has not been the world beater New York envisioned when it made this selection.

2004 Jonathan Vilma, LB, Miami (Fla.)12
Vilma is a little undersized, but he plays with tremendous instincts, temperament and athleticism. He has always been a playmaker.

2003 Dewayne Robertson, DT, Kentucky 4
He is a short, thick, high-energy player who had his best season as a pro in 2007. He is more of a 4-3 interior defender, but has been forced to fit into the 3-4 scheme.

2002 Bryan Thomas, DE, UAB22
Thomas has flourished in the Jets' 3-4 system because of his versatility. He can play up, down, inside or outside, which allows the coaches a lot of flexibility on game day.
2001 Santana Moss, WR, Miami (Fla.)16
Moss is a big play waiting to happen and can run past just about any defensive back in the league, but he spends far too much time nursing injuries.

2000 Shaun Ellis, DE, Tennessee 12
He is a hardworking defensive end who does not have one great trait, but has good strength, quickness and motor. He was never considered dominating, but was always steady.

2000 John Abraham, LB South Carolina13
When he was 100 percent healthy, he could take over a game. Abraham is not a complete player, but has piled up an impressive 67.5-sack total.

2000 Chad Pennington, QB, Marshall 18
He is a winner and a leader, but does not have the great physical tools necessary to carry a team. He can be productive as a starter only if the guys around him are productive.

2000 Anthony Becht, TE, West Virginia27
In 126 career games he has only 172 receptions for a career average of 8.2 yards per catch. Becht has survived as a blocker, but you don't take blocking tight ends in the first round.

·
4,419 Posts
Thread bumped for sudsy. crazy enough to sit in the meadowlands for 10 games a year. :icon_stirthepot:

Saturday-Sunday, April 26-27 (New York)

Rd. 1: Saturday, 3 p.m. ET, 10 min. to make pick
Rd. 2: Saturday, 7 min. to make pick
Rds. 3-7: Sunday, 10 a.m., 5 min. to make pick

Early Christmas present in Jet land as they draft # 6.
Miami's decision to sign Jake Long should have Jets fans thrilled; Darren McFadden, Chris Long or Vernon Gholston will probably be available at No. 6.
It should be interesting to see one of the available Defensive ends battle Jake Long for the next 10 years.
The Pats have the #7 pick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts