Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ASMFC has issued Amendment 7 to the Interstate Striped Bass Mgt. Plan - buried in this massive document is Sub-option B2. Spawning Area Closures, (around page 62) which is one of the options put forth to address recreational release mortality. The two spawning closure options would affect the Hudson in two ways: 1) No striped bass harvest in the Hudson River; and/or 2) No fishing for striped bass on Hudson River spawning grounds during peak spawning for at least two weeks.

This is an unacceptable Mgt option for Hudson River anglers - voice yoru opposition by sending an e-Mail to

Emilie Franke
[email protected] (subject line: Striped Bass PID) ← make sure you put this in the Subject line of your e-Mail

Fishery Management Plan Coordinator
Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission
1050 North Highland Street, Suite 200A-N
Arlington, Virginia 22201 Fax: 703.842.0741

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you think anything needs to be restricted to help the stock / spawning seems to be a place to start ! Maybe not a something Hudson River fishermen want but closing for the peak spawning certainly might help. Maybe limiting each angler to fish one pole instead of three. Hopefully we will still have a season this and years to come.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think anything needs to be restricted to help the stock / spawning seems to be a place to start ! Maybe not a something Hudson River fishermen want but closing for the peak spawning certainly might help. Maybe limiting each angler to fish one pole instead of three. Hopefully we will still have a season this and years to come.
I am averse to any seasonal closures, just too radical considering the short season we have - of immediate opportunity is education as to proper playing, reviving and release of fish - it is estimated that 9% of released fish do not survive - we should endeavor to reduce that to 4-5%, second would be "catch & release" only, for part or all of the season. The real issue is for all the anglers to unite and agree on one or two approaches to conservation of stock and stick by them - if we don't, we may not be angling period!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The Hudson River stock is not the problem.....its the Cheseapeake stock that is the issue so closing the Hudson season would be useless and ludicrous.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Hudson River stock is not the problem.....its the Cheseapeake stock that is the issue so closing the Hudson season would be useless and ludicrous.
Well ,useless and ludicrous ,?one idea was to close for two weeks during prime spawning doesn't seem ludicrous ,your totals decreased 500 fish from 1986 to 1472 , which i believe you had a better boat and most likely better electronics .I've been fishing the river many years and some area's have seen a large decrease in the amount of fish , guys like yourself are very helpful locating schools and passing the information on to others but areas that always had fish are dead .You have to travel to where the fish are previously all areas had schools of fish .

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Well ,useless and ludicrous ,?one idea was to close for two weeks during prime spawning doesn't seem ludicrous ,your totals decreased 500 fish from 1986 to 1472 , which i believe you had a better boat and most likely better electronics .I've been fishing the river many years and some area's have seen a large decrease in the amount of fish , guys like yourself are very helpful locating schools and passing the information on to others but areas that always had fish are dead .You have to travel to where the fish are previously all areas had schools of fish .
I disagree....just because my totals dropped doesn't mean the fishery is hurting. Last year I took the time to bring out many new people and teach them how to fish so my catch rate was down but my loss rate was much higher......I did not see any decrease in the fishery last year at all.......I saw large thick schools but they are just in different areas than in previous years. The Hudson is not the problem with recreational fishing hurting the stock...in fact over the last few years I have noticed it has gotten better overall even though some areas look worse....other areas improved. The regulations over the past few years protecting the larger spawning fish has helped immensely.........what does not make sense to me is the fish that are protected in the Hudson are the only ones we can keep in the ocean....I think that is where the real issue is. Striper should be declared a sport fish and we should only be allowed to keep one larger fish that does not spawn any longer.....usually over 45 inches for the ocean (not the Hudson). I think that would do way more to helping the stock.

·
Keelhauler
609 Posts
I disagree....just because my totals dropped doesn't mean the fishery is hurting. Last year I took the time to bring out many new people and teach them how to fish so my catch rate was down but my loss rate was much higher......I did not see any decrease in the fishery last year at all.......I saw large thick schools but they are just in different areas than in previous years. The Hudson is not the problem with recreational fishing hurting the stock...in fact over the last few years I have noticed it has gotten better overall even though some areas look worse....other areas improved. The regulations over the past few years protecting the larger spawning fish has helped immensely.........what does not make sense to me is the fish that are protected in the Hudson are the only ones we can keep in the ocean....I think that is where the real issue is. Striper should be declared a sport fish and we should only be allowed to keep one larger fish that does not spawn any longer.....usually over 45 inches for the ocean (not the Hudson). I think that would do way more to helping the stock.
Couldn't agree more, Doc. Went to the meeting last week and the vast majority seemed to be on the same page. I'm sure we'll end up kicked in the crotch though.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Couldn't agree more, Doc. Went to the meeting last week and the vast majority seemed to be on the same page. I'm sure we'll end up kicked in the crotch though.
I'm guessing they will vote to shut it down for 2023 but the real issue is will it be enforced.........are they gonna go up to every boat and verify that they are not targeting Striper? I doubt it......there is no way to enforce this bc we are allowed to fish in the Hudson year round........just not catch Striper year round.

Reactions: BUB

·
Keelhauler
609 Posts
It's been said time and time again... "I'm fishing for catfish."

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The Mortality studies quoted for their studies are completely outdated and have no bearing on Hudson River Data. They would have to do a specific study in the Hudson on mortality in order to be fair but that will never be funded...its an impossible study to do anywhere...you cannot track a fish after its released and any studies done in captivity have huge confounding variables.......that leaves us with counting dead floating fish vs the number reported being caught.......and pretty much no one reports their catches....Basically this is impossible data to gather.

These are the studies quoted in their 164 page bullshit analysis.........nothing newer.

Here is where the 9% mortality rate came from.....quote..."This 9% hooking mortality rate estimate is from a study by Diodati and Richards (1996) which took place in a saltwater environment and encompassed a range of variables including hook types, hooking locations, and angler experience levels. The TC conducted a meta-analysis of other striped bass release mortality studies which confirmed that an overall 9% release mortality rate accounts for the variation in conditions and factors that attribute to release mortality coastwide.

This was a 1996 study...before circle hooks were even invented.

Here is the reference to the study.......Diodati, P.J. and R.A. Richards. 1996. Mortality of Striped Bass Hooked and Released in Salt Water. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 125:300-307.

Another one they used from 1998......Nelson, K.L. 1998. Catch-and-Release Mortality of Striped Bass in the Roanoke River, North Carolina, North American Journal of Fisheries Management, 18:1, 25-30.
And they tried to apply this TROUT study to bass in their 164 page summary.....Nuhfer, A. J. and G. R. Alexander. 1992. Hooking mortality of trophy-sized wild brook trout caught on artificial lures. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 12:634–644

These are bullshit stats....They have used this data to come up with this statement................Quote "..Each year since 2017, more fish were estimated to have died from catch and release fishing than were harvested by the recreational fishery....."

The total number of fish taken recreationally is an estimated number.....they base it on the number of licenses sold I think.

The ASMFC needs to be called out on their outdated studies and very flawed data.

·
Keelhauler
609 Posts
The Mortality studies quoted for their studies are completely outdated and have no bearing on Hudson River Data. They would have to do a specific study in the Hudson on mortality in order to be fair but that will never be funded...its an impossible study to do anywhere...you cannot track a fish after its released and any studies done in captivity have huge confounding variables.......that leaves us with counting dead floating fish vs the number reported being caught.......and pretty much no one reports their catches....Basically this is impossible data to gather.

These are the studies quoted in their 164 page bullshit analysis.........nothing newer.

Here is where the 9% mortality rate came from.....quote..."This 9% hooking mortality rate estimate is from a study by Diodati and Richards (1996) which took place in a saltwater environment and encompassed a range of variables including hook types, hooking locations, and angler experience levels. The TC conducted a meta-analysis of other striped bass release mortality studies which confirmed that an overall 9% release mortality rate accounts for the variation in conditions and factors that attribute to release mortality coastwide.

This was a 1996 study...before circle hooks were even invented.

Here is the reference to the study.......Diodati, P.J. and R.A. Richards. 1996. Mortality of Striped Bass Hooked and Released in Salt Water. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 125:300-307.

Another one they used from 1998......Nelson, K.L. 1998. Catch-and-Release Mortality of Striped Bass in the Roanoke River, North Carolina, North American Journal of Fisheries Management, 18:1, 25-30.
And they tried to apply this TROUT study to bass in their 164 page summary.....Nuhfer, A. J. and G. R. Alexander. 1992. Hooking mortality of trophy-sized wild brook trout caught on artificial lures. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 12:634–644

These are bullshit stats....They have used this data to come up with this statement................Quote "..Each year since 2017, more fish were estimated to have died from catch and release fishing than were harvested by the recreational fishery....."

The total number of fish taken recreationally is an estimated number.....they base it on the number of licenses sold I think.

The ASMFC needs to be called out on their outdated studies and very flawed data.
I agree. There were a few people at the meetings that called out the nonsensical data. Unfortunately (or quite deliberately), the ASMFC was not in attendance as they were "listening remotely and unable to comment."

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I agree. There were a few people at the meetings that called out the nonsensical data. Unfortunately (or quite deliberately), the ASMFC was not in attendance as they were "listening remotely and unable to comment."
They have to know their data is old and crap.....and most of it was done by college students trying to get credit for research too.............common sense says we need new studies but that won't happen.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There any update on this? I fish alot besides the striper spawn, but spring would not be the same without stripers......

Your advice and information has been great over the years Doc.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
There any update on this? I fish alot besides the striper spawn, but spring would not be the same without stripers......

Your advice and information has been great over the years Doc.
Yes...they have ruled that the Hudson is a unique fishery and separate from the Delaware/Chesapeake. They have decided that ASMFC (I call them ACME bc they are a bunch of tards) will NOT govern the Hudson and full control for regs will revert to NYS DEC. This is good news as NYS DEC is Pro fishing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes...they have ruled that the Hudson is a unique fishery and separate from the Delaware/Chesapeake. They have decided that ASMFC (I call them ACME bc they are a bunch of tards) will NOT govern the Hudson and full control for regs will revert to NYS DEC. This is good news as NYS DEC is Pro fishing.
Thats great! These same folks regulate flounder fishing too.........

Didnt do much fshing this year. Work had a major project and the house needed alot of maintenance. I also took the last week in april to go to topsail NC for a week. So, I didnt have a slip in catskill this year.

IS it just me, or does it seems like much less boats out there this year. I drive over the catskill bridge every day going to work and haven't seen a single wait n bait conga line of fiberglass..... Best has been 3 boats as far as I can see looking north towards the lighthouse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts