Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live part time in calexico, ca (imperial county) . . . usually fishing for catfish while i am there. I have heard that stripers are there, but i have no idea how to go after them. from the limited advise i have heard from locals, they say use chicken livers. seeing that i fish for cats with livers, and that i have not landed a single striper . . . i must be missing something.

is there a particular time of day to fish? are they hook shy? do stripers have the ability to see heavy weighted lines? my typical setup is a 50lb braided line (green) with a number 4 treble. due to the heavy current, i am usually putting a 4oz weight on the line.

there are several drops along the canal. above the drop the water is rather calm and slow . . . where as below the drop it is rather turbulent and fast. where would be the best spot to fish?

just to note, i did look through the '101' for this site, but i couldn't find specifically addressing what i am looking for.

many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
early am fish will come up and chase baitfish in the shallows and or by structure.
and again in the late afternoon. lures like rat-l traps and bombers.
mimic what is the predominant baitfish in the canal.?
fish deep in the mid-day. and a heavy jig cast upcurrent.
fluorocarbon leader like yo-zuri hybrid.
for baitfishing the edge, don't use a trebble hook for god sake. a circle hook fished right is the way to go and less likely to get snagged on something.
fishing by boat or shore?
canal guys will respond to this but?
are there any structures ie: bridges/pilings/ any corners cuts or turns?
how deep is the water at deepest point and temp gradient from 3 ft to deepest part.
are there any shallow areas that are near the turns/points or is the canal all basically the same depth deep and along the shoreline?
water clarity>
vegetation along the shoreline?
not familiar at all with the location but, some specific information on where and what is going on could help others familiar with targeting them in canals respond appropriately. wish i could give you the answer to the test at this point dude.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
early am fish will come up and chase baitfish in the shallows and or by structure.
and again in the late afternoon. lures like rat-l traps and bombers.
mimic what is the predominant baitfish in the canal.?
i would think the stripers are eating baby channel cats and threadfin shad

fish deep in the mid-day. and a heavy jig cast upcurrent.
fluorocarbon leader like yo-zuri hybrid.
for baitfishing the edge, don't use a trebble hook for god sake. a circle hook fished right is the way to go and less likely to get snagged on something.
when i am using live or cut bait, i use a bait hook or circle . . . treble is for the livers and stink bait. livers on a circle just don't work so well in the canals heavy current. btw, there really isn't much of a chance to snag on anything in the canal. it is dirt lined with very little in the way of rocks and heavy growth. i have probably had 5 snags over the past 18 months, and i fish weekly.

fishing by boat or shore?
shore, no boat fishing allowed.

are there any structures ie: bridges/pilings/ any corners cuts or turns?
quite a few bridges and pilings, some curves but those are very limited

how deep is the water at deepest point and temp gradient from 3 ft to deepest part.
are there any shallow areas that are near the turns/points or is the canal all basically the same depth deep and along the shoreline?
all the canals are level depth. the only dropoff is within the first 3 feet. i say 'canals' because the AAC (all american canal) breaks off to several smaller ones. the AAC varies between 75' and 200' wide and is probably 15' deep. the canals that break off it are more narrow and shallow, but all other characteristics are the same.

water clarity
pretty darn clear . . . with a green tint.

vegetation along the shoreline?
some but not much . . . honestly it is very scattered. some places have nothing but a dirt bank while others have shrubs along for hundreds of yards.

many many thanks for the details in your response, hopefully all of this will yield some good fishing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
dhines I grew up in El Centro CA AND KNOW THOSE CANALS LIKE THE BACK OF MY HAND!Even now when i go to visit family in the valley I always take a day to go fish.Theres not many places where u can go catch smallies ,bucketmouthes ,crappie,bluegill,channel cats,flattheads,and stripers all in one body of water its a great place.With the stripers MY father and I use to fish early about an hour before sunrise till 9 or ten.WE used mainly chicken livers but in small amount and with lil treble hooks.Most of the time little 10 or 8's believe it or not and just enough liver to completely cover the hook when the liver drains out and turns white replace it.Now as where we fished it was always below the drops.If u study the water u will notice down stream right where the water calms down and the foam and froth starts to clear the bank should be washed away on either side the water is normally its deepest there from the end of the foam to about 20 feet down stream.We put the liver under a float about 3' to 5' feet with enough wait 6 to10 inches above the liver to keep the liver under the float so its not being dragged behind the bobber.Cast in to the middle of the foam letting it works its way down stream with the bail open till it hits the calm stuff then close it and let it works it way to the wash out on your side of the bank.Live shiners (minnows) or cutt shad work to here.If u r fishing below a drop thats not open or the water is calm try and use enough wait to get a whole shad or some liver to get close to the bottom and drift it down stream.If its dead water I always just used a cut shad with a few splitt shott and let it slowly roll on the bottom there are some snaggs but youl figure it out.You have a treasure there I miss fishing there so much. My father recently passed but my memories of me and him will always remain fishing those canals.GOOD LUCK AND TIGHT LINES?:smiliegrd:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.