Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Striper Hunter
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Albany area from the adirondack mountains, thought I would try to get in on all the Striper fishing fun everyone talks about. I guess I am a little concerned about boat launches and how quick they fill up. I checked out the boat launch at exit 4a off 787. Does anyone know if that becomes immpossible in May? Would it be just be wise to go down to Bethlehem? Or any other ideas. Boat is a 16ft Lund...

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I know the Bethlehem lot fills very early during the peak of the season. Not sure about Albany but they do have a pretty big parking area.

·
Official Member
572 Posts
Both can fill up pretty quick, suggest you get there early. There is also a launch across the river in Schodack Island State Park. That one rarely fills up, but you may want to call ahead and make sure it is open, the state budget cuts kept it closed this winter. Also a launch in Rensselear but parking is limited and the concrete ramp ends before the water at low tide. No problem if you have four wheel drive, or just wait for the tide to come back up. Coeymans and Coxsackie also have good launches with lots of parking but I do not use them too much during the striper run.

good luck!
freddie the J

·
Lunker
152 Posts
One important note on the ramp off of 787 (Corning Preserve launch). The rowing teams there can be a real pain in the a$$ when they are putting their skulls in and out. Also the docks are theirs. You can use them if they are not but you must yield to them if they are putting in and out. I've been stuck sitting there waiting for them for a while in the past. They are not supposed to take up the whole ramp as it is a public launch but they sometimes do. Just thought I would let you know. Good luck fishing if you come down!

·
Official member
42 Posts
Corning Preserve definitely fills up quick. I agree the rowing teams can definitely be a pain but at least the people are pleasant. I think that the biggest pain that you have to worry about is that AQUA DUCK boat. They have absolutely no concern for anyone. Who ever is driving that thing has no respect for safety or other boaters. I lost a windshield 2 years ago from the wake. I have seen people thrown out of their boats, even a boat tossed up on the floating dock. That is what you have to worry about. If you have the family (kids) this is not the place that you want to launch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts