Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a buddy coming in from out of state, and I want to try and get him his first striper. I've had luck this year in the Albany area, but have seen in previous years that the Kingston area seems to produce better numbers for folks who fish down there. We will be going out tomorrow - based on the migration, where do you think the best bet to catch the striper are? Albany, Kingston, or someplace else. Don't want to go much further south, but if you think they are between the 2, that would be helpful too. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'd head down to Newburgh..........you'll definitely land several down there. Not as big as up in Kingston or Albany but I'll take a dozen 10-20 lbers all day as opposed to one or two 30 lbers. Its hit or miss up north but awesome down south...guaranteed fish. I make the drive from Albany.

·
Official Member
572 Posts
I grew up down near Kingston, not that I fished for stripers at the time. Live near Albany now. still have family in Kingston so I fish there occasionally but have never gotten one down there. not that I get that many in Albany but since its my home waters I prefer it. river is smaller, know the lay of the land (the bottom), etc. so my suggestion is go with what you know. Bonus: bringing a novice is the best strategic move of all. the fishing gods favor novices. all 6 I got this year were with novices on board.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I grew up down near Kingston, not that I fished for stripers at the time. Live near Albany now. still have family in Kingston so I fish there occasionally but have never gotten one down there. not that I get that many in Albany but since its my home waters I prefer it. river is smaller, know the lay of the land (the bottom), etc. so my suggestion is go with what you know. Bonus: bringing a novice is the best strategic move of all. the fishing gods favor novices. all 6 I got this year were with novices on board.
you may be onto something there. my gf landed 4 so far this year. her first time fishing stripers. dad landed a 34" now i need to get my boy one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Bonus: bringing a novice is the best strategic move of all.
Isn't that the truth! I caught the record when there was a person on the boat who had never been to the Hudson striper fishing before. We had a few productive striper trips with him on that boat, and then he moved to South Dakota and fishing has been a bit slower ever since! Then again, I only get to fish the Hudson a couple of weekend days per season now...so I usually hit the "off" day (a further bonus tip would be to avoid fishing the Kingston area this Saturday).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.