Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"ve been asked about poles and things. Well- THINK BIG. I stress that. Lets be real, the Hudson is big, a mile across in some areas. Think surf casting big. Surf casting doesn't necessarily mean big all the time, but you need to be able to get your presentation out there, and be able to bring in some tough fighting fish with respect to that fish. I like moving around and casting lures, all kinds of lures. So I will have at least 2-3 poles with me at any given time. Will one pole do it? SURE WILL!! It will definitely keep your focus on your presentation, but youll be sayin, "wish I brought another pole" we all do. My first "go-to" is an eleven ft. 2piece Tsunami rod in med. heavy, with a lure wt. of 2-6oz., 130.00$, on this I have a Shimano Thunnus Cl4 Baitrunner spinning reel, about 200.00$ . moderately pricey,but, It Does What I Want it To Do! and that is sail big lures out!!! My next rod, and pay attention here, is a 25.00$ Cabellas" Whuppin Stick" in 9ft. two piece and made for line wt. of14-30lb. on that I have a Penn Spinfisher spinning reel,100.00$ This is a serious set-up for entry level. Your going to need a reel capable of handling a big fish, even a ten pounder is gonna do damage in the current, Trust me! Another rod I use is a Cabellas 8ft. med Whuppin stick, line wt. 4-20 lb. This is for catching Herring, it casts nice and can "whip" a Sabiki rig out there. So line is not nearly as expensive, but needs to be practical. I use Trilene Big Game 25lb. / Braid in 30lb. and Cajun Red in 17lb. Depends on the lures Im using at the time. So...Lures ,here we go, Jigs in the river need to be at least 2-3oz. down river from the Federal Dam, near the dam I use 1 1/2oz. , usually 1mi. or so after that it starts getting deep enough to use bigger, I like basic white bucktails, there you go, cant go wrong, chartruse is a good color also,{ see my pics album to check out what I tied up recently}, I have more colors, but those two are a must. Lets face it we all loose lures, loose cheap ones first! Any thing big and Herring like is what your shooting for, I would strongly suggest visiting Hudson River Bait and Tackle in Rennsellear for more suggestions, he has Great prices! also Conroys in Watervliet, google these for directions, or visit their dot com. Well, I hope this helped a little, hope to see you out there, and Well equipped!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.