Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw on a television program that if you find yourself walking on slippery rocks as in walking on a jetty, put a pair of socks over your boots for traction. I used a rough texture wool sock and it worked great. Caution, this is for minor to moderate slim on rocks....if you are fishing a jetty like Indian River Inlet, Delaware, wear the metal fishing cleats!

Question: can someone offer some suggestions for getting bait fish on the Cheaspeake like spot or bunker. I have a 12 foot cast net. Is it legal to chum in baitfish? How do you get spot etc for free lining?:smiliegrd:
Seamaster

Attachments

·
Cow Catcher
937 Posts
I recently saw on a television program that if you find yourself walking on slippery rocks as in walking on a jetty, put a pair of socks over your boots for traction. I used a rough texture wool sock and it worked great. Caution, this is for minor to moderate slim on rocks....if you are fishing a jetty like Indian River Inlet, Delaware, wear the metal fishing cleats!

Question: can someone offer some suggestions for getting bait fish on the Cheaspeake like spot or bunker. I have a 12 foot cast net. Is it legal to chum in baitfish? How do you get spot etc for free lining?:smiliegrd:
Seamaster
Never tried socks over the boots but my home made korkers are a must.
As for a cast net works great when bait is thick
plus they last longer then snagging them
As for in Mass when we head out for Sharks we Chum so i assume not but im sure you will get a more accurate answer.
as for getting them snag em.
Weight the live bunker to the bottom let it hit the bottom then give the reel a couple of cranks to get it up off the bottom and HOLD ON.. thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
i don;t get down there much but consensus is clam or bloodworm on small hooks. i would venture the gulp bloodworm cut would be cool for spot. won;t be netting them i don;t think as they are on the bottom. you could find and mark fish and try ctching a few but like i said, i am not there often/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice....do you think it would help in getting spot or bunker to put some small ground up chum out before trying the catch them and then cast net and or using small hooks...and what size hooks? I Know they have small mouth ....

Seamaster..................:smiliegrd:

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
:smiliedoh: unless you want every dogfish/bluefish/shitfish/ in the area i advise you leave chumming alone. if you have to chum for spot or any bottom fish you will want your chum on the bottom anyway. an inexpensive chum pot is 2 paper bags and with a 10 oz weight tied to your line = place the weight in the bag and put chum in bag. tie the top closed (don't tie the bag to the line. the weight has to be able to slide up and down inside the bag as to jar the inners out. let the bag of chum go to the bottom. after about 15 minutes or so the paper bags will be pliable and waterlogged. all you then need to do is give the rod a few swift pops off the bottom and all your chum is slicking on the bottom and not all over the surface getting drifted away from you. the paper bag is biodegradeable and you will be left with some of the paper on your line to discard in your garbage bin on the boat. you now have a slick on the bottom for whatever you target. if spot, i would take some bloodworms and cut em up with some clam and orr mussells and even some crabs for that matter. in this instance i would as well throw some bucktails down in your slick as who knows what this will attract in the area you fish> hope this helps, zim
as far as bunker go, where are your bunker located that you want to net them?>

you can double or tripple up on a (sabiki rig) with size 8 hooks with worms or clam and bounce it off the bottom. spot doesn't do well in a live well too long but if you find them they are a great bass bait live or dead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.