Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my never ending quest to make plug building the most enjoyable hobby it can be, I am constantly up grading my shop, in an earlier thread, I posted the changes I made for this upcoming plug building season...

Well I'm still improving things..

Earlier this week while turning maple for darters, on my final pass I got too close to the squre end at the tail of the plug, the plug exploded into 3 pieces, one bounced off my face shield, the other flew off to parts unknown and still hasnt been found, the third piece, got sucked into the hood on the chip collector and some how made it past the blast gate and "T" and solidly lodged in the blower of my dust collector stopping the motor... I shut it down imediatly and it required disasembaly to dislodge the chunk of wood, amazinly no damage was done to the blower wheel...

Lessons revisted: NEVER, NEVER,EVER continue when your tired.... one more can be too many..
Always wear full face protection.... glad I had it on.
The new mouse trap.....
I've been toying with the idea of turning my dustcollector into a 2 stage unit, empting the dust collection bag is a real P.I.TA.... It's a messy job best done outside....Reinstalling it is enough to send me to the psych ward!

So for a $28 dollar dust separator lid, and a $18 dollar metal trash can, a few scraps of ply wood and 1 small castor wheel, I now have a two stage unit... I took pictures, but as I turned on the camera to down load, the battery crapped out.. I'll post pictures latter...

The way my dust collector is set up, it sits within reach of my lathe, it is connected to the system by 4' of flexable hose that then branches off to the other machines, I can roll it out of the way for cleaning or for use of the end of the bench.... I wanted to maintain the portability of the system but the 30 gallon trash can was 12" too large to sit under the existing stand, so by cutting a ply wood extension and adding a caster wheel to the front, the unit can still be rolled around ( within the bounderies of the 4' hose), now, no large debris can reach the blower wheel and because of the cyclone effect of the cover/ collector can, all but the finest dust is collected in the trash can, to empy it, it's a simple matter of removing the lid( it sits in place no clamps or screws to fuss with), sliding the can over the stop I made on the wooden stand ( which is attached to the original blower stand) and slipping a large bag over the can and inverting it...no more dust clouds, turning the bag inside out and cleaning with compressed air every time I want to empty chips... now the task( the 5 micron bags) can be done once or twice a year....

On a related note: the 1050 CFM air purifier is performing beyond expectations.... even after a days turning there is virtualy NO air borne dust in the air.... when I clean the pre-filter, I am amazed at the amount of dust that is entrapped in the filter... all that dust was airborne, un noticed prior to the installation and settled over the entire shop, eventualy working it's way up stairs....the air in my "cave" is cleaner than the air I breath at work.....

·
4,419 Posts
I think Im getting the bug. :redbiggrin:
I saw a list of essentials on Brian mullaneys site. i would definately need that < 5 micron purifier roc. Now the only thing is to cut them dam trees and go to the township for the permits before the snow comes. my workshop is sitting in amish country. :whistle:
Procrastination is the word for the day with me.

Anything you would add to this list? Or start out advice?

lathe
chisels
japanese waterstones (or some chisel sharpening mechaninism like the Jet system)
face shield
respirators - (one for particles, one for chemicals)
drill press
forstner drill bits
brad point drill bits
hand drill
chop saw
band saw
primer
airbrush or rattle can paint
compressor
spraybooth
sandpaper
sealer
wood
metal lips
308L X .062" stainless wire
nose, belly & tail grommets
bell weights and tail weights
treble hooks/siwash hooks
split rings
split ring pliers
round nose pilers
3d eyes
clear epoxy topcoat
5 min. epoxy
bench vise
air filtration system (fine dust collection)
shop vacs (larger wood particles)

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll tell ya Jim, before moving to
Reading, it had been 4-5 years since I had made plugs, jigs and flies.. I forgot how much I missed it...... ya need to have a tree cutting party!

·
will work for stripers
2,530 Posts
:notworthy:... dust collection is something thats very important..for many reasons..health being numero uno...im glad to hear your taking steps..big steps... to not just minimize..but eliminate the problem in your work area...your example, i know, has sparked others to at least think more about it...and take whatever steps they can to follow suit. your a leader and teacher roc....thanks.

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Naw.. I'm just lazy... all this gagetry just minimizes the amount of sweeping I have to do!:redbiggrin:

·
will work for stripers
2,530 Posts
work smarter..not harder. you, by no means are lazy..just getting to be more and more efficient.thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
558 Posts
Jim you forgot the two most important things. TIME and MONEY. I find that those two things are the reason I dont get more done.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i am trying to make my own dust / chip collector.
what i am going to do is i have a blower that came with a huge water slide i had got for my kid two years ago.
a 4" pipe will fit on it just perfick.
so than i will need some flu y so when the air flows past the y it will cause a suction and act as a vacume.
it will all dump out of my shop in to a trash can with a lid with some holes drill out the top and coverd with a fine net.
i think i will beable to have 3 ports with this system lathe,press,saw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts