Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
headed out around 2 with a friend...found a few herring, started drifted and managed a 36" 20lb....started back at the top, drifted through, 36" 16lb.....started over, missed 3 runs, couldnt get the hook set, last drift 31" 10lb. great start, herring scarce, water around 54... heading out tomorrow am.

· Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Webs , you rocked them bro :a_goodjob: ... we couldn't find size today. Were you fishing where i think you were ? :icon_cool2:

· Registered
1,036 Posts
maybe.... :whistle::whistle::whistle:

I'd have to give a big thanks to all the "drifters" out there (BB)...thanks for the tips...I was an anchor man once, but have changed my ways.
drifting vs. anchoring.... great subject

i think this time of year in particular when the bait is scarce that drifting is more effective....

although we drifted through the port the other day and as we drifted by one guy anchored up he caught and released two fish... and we didn't get a touch

but ..... once the herring build in and are everywhere i have found if i anchor i outfished the drifters on the dock ..... i think the stripers swim up... the schools of herring leave and there is one lonely, solitary herring that can't swim away

of course this is in troy where herring are everywhere so it is a little different than down south

we got 1 anchored and 2 drifting yesterday morning... the guy anchored below us got at least 2

who knows :a_goodjob:

· Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I agree SOF ... we have a friend who ONLY anchors , like 10-12hrs same spot each time. Some days he gets more and vise-versa.

I much prefer drifting because i can stand just sitting there waiting. I like to be on my feet and staying active on the water, covering lots of ground.

It's all what your comfortable with i guess.:redbiggrin:

BB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.